Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Wet-green thumbs?

A funny thing hit me today. I have loved to grow things my whole life... I have beautiful gardens around my house, tons of live plants in my house, and my husband farms... but I have silk plants in my aquarium! I am a total coward when it comes to live plants there. I bought a live plant once; it died and made a total mess.

I have two tanks right now, a 55 with two, 4 y/o angelfish and a corey. The other, a 20, is totally boring with 3 hatchet fish and a corey.

I am ready to get my green thumb wet, but totally clueless as where to start. I look forward to reading your posts and learning from everyone.

Kelly in sunny Florda

kellyjofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Welcome to the site! Glad you joined us!

Purrbox (a member on here) wrote an excellent article on getting into live plants. I'd recommend reading it through and then post in the planted tank section with any questions you may have. We have quite a group of experienced planted tank folks on here.

meegosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Welcome! The article that Meegosh linked is excellent. Pay particular attention to the lighting section - that is where most folks new to planted tanks fall short. If you start with proper lighting (it doesn't have to be powerful enough to cook your plants and require a high tech setup), it makes things a lot easier. A nice, low light setup with low maintenance plants is easy to manage. Best of luck! If you have a green thumb, you are really going to enjoy aquatic plants once you get into them. The challenges can be enormous, but the variety and intricacies are rewarding.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome, thanks for joining us!
[CENTER]Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
Latest aquarium vlog:
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com