what is the best filter for a 55 gal fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lboden2003

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a 20 gal fresh water aquarium about 2 months ago.
I just bought a 55 gal tank and will move my fish to this. I am researching filter types and would love to hear from others with experience since I am brand new at this.

AquaClear filters are great. The filter media is cusomizable and the is a lot of room for the media as well.

I have two Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 200 on mine. They are great, never had an issue. A lot of people recommend AC on here, but Marineland is a great option too. Canister filters are great from what I have read, but I've never done one before.

What kind of fish are going into this tank? That's big for decision making too.

I like plenty of filtration so I have a Rena Filstar XP3 and a Aquaclear 50 (in case I need a quarantine tank).

X2 On the Aqua Clear. I am running an Aqua Clear 70 for my 46 gallon bowfront and I love how quiet it is, and its nice to be able to choose your own filter media instead of the standard carbon filters.

I run a Top Fin 60 in my 55 gallon and I am seriously considering getting the Aqua Clear 110 for it, instead!

I have an Aquaclear 110 on my 29 Gallon and love it...so far, the filter media is big enough so i don't have to clean it daily(like my previous TopFin 30) and there are alot of available options to use other types of media with it..If my tank was just a little wider, i'd use Both an AquaClear 110 and an Emperor 400 next to each other

IMHO x4 on the AC, I run 3 110's on my 150 bowed that's 3/4 full of water. If you plan on keeping the 55g, i would run 2 AC 110's and call it a day. just let me warn you, be very careful handling them, they are kind of fragile and you don't want to break them. you can run fluval filter tube foams on the intake tubes of the AC's also.(but keep an eye out for cleaning the intake filters if you choose to do so)

I forgot to mention, the AC 110, has the highest water flow rate on the market (one of the reasons I choose it, I believe its 500 GPH) for HOBF that I have seen (the other reasoning as previously stated, you can do a lot in altering what you use for filtering since it has a nice big open space where the filter media goes, unlike other filters). I have read some people say they don't like it because it doesn't have the bio wheel but there are some people who modify them and add a bio wheel to it.

I don't understand why AC doesn't make their filters out of something more durable, add a bio wheel and take over the market.

ACs don't need a biowheel, which are biofilters not water polishers, and the flow rate of the 110 is 500 gph, and that would be probably when empty. All the smaller ACs can hold two sponges plus the biomax which increases their capacity.
I too, would like to see a more durable material for the filter.

ACs don't need a bio wheel, which are bio filters not water polishers, and the flow rate of the 110 is 500 gph, and that would be probably when empty. All the smaller ACs can hold two sponges plus the biomax which increases their capacity.
I too, would like to see a more durable material for the filter.

my mistake, I apologize, I always say the that rate but that's my 3 together oops.

they are 500gph each and the competitor (emperor 400) are 400gph.

and just to clarify, when I said about the filter being more durable, I meant the filter housing.

re-read the post didn't say it was better for water polishing my mistake.err.. fixed above.

Back
Top Bottom