Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
What to do about Filter

Hi All,
Whilst I'm not "new" as such to keeping an aquarium, I've never bought the components separately before (in other words, I've bought the necessary hardware all at once on advice from the shop! )
I now have an oscar fish with popeye & through different channels, I've concluded the condition could be from a couple of things - tank now too small (only about 70ltr) & too much of the wrong food (blood worms) I have now aquired a 200 ltr tank & stand (for free ) however the Eheim 2227/2229 filter doesn't work - it appears to have a broken impeller & shaft which will cost about $100 to replace.
My question is (after this long winded post) would it be better for me to replace the broken parts on the existing filter or buy a brand new filter. I have seen new filters (obviously not the one I'm replacing) on ebay for around $70. I really have no idea which way to go as I'm only assuming the 2nd hand eheim I have is not working because of the impeller & shaft (there could be other issues I'm not aware of yet)
Any help would be much appreciated to try & save the poor oscar's eye (his name is dude )
Thanks so much

Scoota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Welcome to AA! Do you know how many gallons 200 ltr is? If I were you, I would buy a new filter. Even if you did repair it, I assume the filter is used and may not be as reliable as a new filter.
You will need to cycle your new aquarium. Most members prefer the fishless cycling method which won't harm any fish if don't right.

This is a great thread that will tell you all about this.
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

And for the fish with pop eye, if you have a hospital tank, I would isolate it. Pick up some Maracyn Two (maracyn Will work as well) and treat. Maracyn might kill some if the beneficial bacteria in your tank, that's why I recommend isolating the fish. Goo luck!

George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
200l is about 53 gallons, and is ideal for a single oscar. Unfortunately, though, this tank is not large enough to house any tankmates with him. A good way to filter this, imo, would be two AquaClear 50s or two AquaClear 70s. Always filter for double or more the gallons you actually have.

And as George said, a fishless cycle will be the way to go, although, depending on the size of your oscar, you might want to move him right away. If you do, make sure to put the old filter on the tank with the new filters, that'll seed the new tank and make the cycling process way faster, even if the filter is slightly broken. Or, put the old filter media into the new filters, that will achieve the same goal.
-The more I learn about fish, the more I <3 them-
-If I help you or provide good info, please feel free to add to my rep points!-
Rosenweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks guys, I found the impeller & shaft for less than AUD$30 but in the UK, they should arrive this week. If the filter doesn't work still, I will just go & buy another one. I have taken most of the rocks etc out of his current tank & put in the new one to help it cycle & heated it up, I also have some live bacteria ready to add. The tank is now waiting patiently for the filter. Dude looks a little happier at the moment, we have used lots of things now for his popeye. I have heard of Maracyn, not sure if I can get it in Oz though? I will have a look & use the tank he's in as the hospital tank.
I don't plan on adding any other fish in with Dude, he likes it on his own I think - besides he attacks the cat, who knows what he will do to other fish - haha

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Oh, just read "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" It appears I would have been doing everything wrong & that I should put all the rocks etc back into the current tank until needed!
Thanks so much for referring the artical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com