whats up from VA.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eckokid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Name is Shane I have 5 freshwater tanks and recently started my first salt.A 55 gallon T 5 Ho 4 bulb 48" light bar(54watt)each.I have two clown,One Yellow Tang(temp) bicolored Bleeny,two chromis.Any and all advice greatly be accepted.I am here to gain knowledge in fish keeping.

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA. :welcome:

From the Richmond area here.

Welcome Shane! I'm from the Charlottesville area, hope you have fun around here, and learn what you need or want. :)

Also from Richmond here.

Ibrahim - I don't use any local shops in Richmond except in an absolute emergency. There are three saltwater shops (Atlantis Aquariums, Richmond Aquarium and Fish World), but their prices are all very high in my opinion. I'm lucky in that my job takes me all over Virginia and Maryland, so I've scoped out some that I really like:

Aquatic Obsession - Manassas, VA
Reef Chief - Suffolk, VA
Atlantic Sea Farms - Virginia Beach, VA
Fish Safari - Virginia Beach, VA
Tropical Lagoon (I think that's the name) - Silver Spring, MD

On occassion, I'll hit up Care A Lot Pet Supplies in Newport News, Virginia Beach, or Chesapeake. Their livestock is very much hit or miss. Some of the area Petcos are the same way, but lately more often a miss.

For supplies, I mail order through Drs. Foster & Smith or if I'm working in Baltimore, I'll often drive up to That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.

Rutrag said:
Also from Richmond here.

Ibrahim - I don't use any local shops in Richmond except in an absolute emergency. There are three saltwater shops (Atlantis Aquariums, Richmond Aquarium and Fish World), but their prices are all very high in my opinion. I'm lucky in that my job takes me all over Virginia and Maryland, so I've scoped out some that I really like:

Aquatic Obsession - Manassas, VA
Reef Chief - Suffolk, VA
Atlantic Sea Farms - Virginia Beach, VA
Fish Safari - Virginia Beach, VA
Tropical Lagoon (I think that's the name) - Silver Spring, MD

On occassion, I'll hit up Care A Lot Pet Supplies in Newport News, Virginia Beach, or Chesapeake. Their livestock is very much hit or miss. Some of the area Petcos are the same way, but lately more often a miss.

For supplies, I mail order through Drs. Foster & Smith or if I'm working in Baltimore, I'll often drive up to That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA.

K cool I know a few of those and some in MD but just wanted to check if there were any I didn't know.

Tidewater was I was born and raised now in sw Va Roanoke Three local salt water fish dealers but only one good one.Ultimate aquariums is the best around here.There is one in Lynchburg that is suppose to be good.

Anyone in the roanoke area?There is Petco around but the selection is awful.They have six tanks total the rest are messed up.Ultimate Aquariums has crazy hours.The staff is very knowledgeable.Then P.A.W.s in lynchburg is kinda far but I guess that's the price to pay for salt water.Is there any others around this area?Blacksburg maybe.

Last edited:
hello and welcome to the forum, I live in Botetourt Co. about 5 miles away from Ultimate Aquaruims. As far as salt water goes I want to do sadly at some point but currently have 7 fresh water. I have been all over around the area and Ultimate Aquariums is the best local for salt that I know of. The Pet Warehouse in Lynchburg is awesome for fresh and salt, it looks kinda like a small single story house but it has a full basement and that is where the fish are, large selection of corals, salt water fish, fresh water fish and tons of supplies, it is worth the trip..

Oh I forgot there is a pet land here to that has some salt water stuff and the last time I was there they were running 50% off salt water fish but not the live rock

Pet land is a trip.All saltwater tanks treated with copper.I went there last weekend to give them 5 fish that didn't fit my tank.$13 dollars a piece was the price on them $40 worth of I gave them and couldnt get ANYTHING.Not even 10% of next visit.Ultimate Aquariums I will see you this weekend.

Well I hate to hear they messed you over that way but I am glad you posted it here so I know not to take and fish to them.

Back
Top Bottom