When does it start to get relaxing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrostonchap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I always wanted tropical fish as my Dad had a tank when I was little, now I am nearly 40 I own at 110 litre tank which seems to be taking forever to cycle (8 weeks so far). I have 7 XRay tetra's and I have been reading advice & books on what to do. The ammonia levels have bounced up to 2ppm but are usually between 0.5 and 1. I do a weekly water change where I use tapsafe to clear the water., I put new filters in the pump as I got it second hand, these are building up the bacteria I also add Stress Zyme weekly. Water PH is 6.4, NO2 is 1 and NO3 is about 10. Fish are happy & active but I am unsure to add more until the ammonia level is down to 0ppm.
I made a mistake last week where I panicked and bought ammonia removed as the levels went to 4ppm. The fish didn't seem to bother but I have read I may have broken the whole cycling process by doing that.

There is a small movie of my tank here. MobileMe Gallery

I am really open to any advice you can pass on.

Thanks

You need to be doing more frequent PWCs. While cycling with fish you need to be testing daily and changing water accordingly. You should be aiming for < 0.25 ppm of NitrIte and Ammonia. NitrAtes look good, make sure you keep them under 20 ppm.
And definitely wait until you are seeing consistent readings of 0 ammonia and nitrIte, and < 20 ppm of nitrAte before getting any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom