Will Java Fern grow on this plastic Deco ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asohfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The title pretty much says it all. This is how my aquarium looks like...

Camera%20Uploads

The rock with caves init is fake (built from plastic), I have places a java fern there on the side which can be seen. It hasn't been glued, the area was just tight enough to put it there. Do you think it has a chance of growing there or attaching itself in the future ?

Also, i have HC planted in the tank. It's a new tank(1 week old) and i am still cycling it.The HC is turning yellow gradually. I am using a DIY CO2 and beneath my substrate is a sand fertilizer. Will the HC pickup it's growth and get green again ? Thanks.

Probably.

Here is a pic of a fake resin log which had at one time had plastic plants stuck up in the front where the Java Fern now grows.

This fern was 2 maybe 3 leaves when I tied it on there. Then at some point it just attached itself and started growing really well.

In my experience the Java Fern like to be out of the direct light just a little.
60074-albums11380-picture65410.jpg

Last edited:
It was a fake deco but one my at the time Red Tail Shark loved to keep as her home base corner so I couldn't get rid of it. Then it grew such a lovely bunch of Fern I really couldn't get rid of it. :smitten: The bottom dwellers really love this thing, it just went with some of the bottom dwellers to my DD and her new home and 46G tank. They are still very happy there.

It would work as well with a DW too or I have even had one that attached to a piece of Petrified Stone. It had some rough surface areas and it grew onto it.

I used fishing line to attach it, but in the future I would use cotton thread in the matching color of the item you are attaching it to. The fishing line worries me if it comes undone and a fish could get stuck in it. I just took out the last of my rocks and DW with fishing line on it and may try the super glue gel in the future.

Thank you very much for your reply Autumnsky it was helpful. Somehow i noticed that i can't edit my post. I wanted to re-upload the picture of my aquarium which apparently wasn't successful before.

Back
Top Bottom