Worried mum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chlobeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I recently became concerned about my snail, Shelly. It has lead me on many Google searches to no avail. Which is why I decided to join a community hoping someone else has same snail concerns. After browsing through pages of snail posts it seems Shelly's case is unusual. Unfortunately this seems to be the only section of the site I can make posts in. So I guess well just see how we go.

Fish habitant: 1 Betta, 1 zebra danio, 1 snail - don't know the breed
Tank contains: aquarium pebbles, driftwood with plant.
Background: all happy and getting along in old tank

On Tuesday I bought a new 19 Lt Fluval chi tank as the old one was just a cheap nano tank not wanting a large setup being my first time fish keeping. While moving everything around I noticed that my snails shell had deteriorated. (Reading online maybe calcium is needed) on Thursday I moved snail and fish into the new tank one water was at 7.0. Friday I notice my snail coming to the surface almost like to breathe (I have video footage) then tonight Saturday he came mostly out of the water feeling over the lip of the tank and my Danio has also started nibbling at my snail itself not the shell and it doesn't seem to be in an aggressive manor, always at the back of the snail.

Hi Chlobeth and welcome to AA !

Sorry to hear about your snail but your video did not upload so you may want try a pic instead.

Snails sometimes go to the surface if water conditions aren't good. How are your other fish ? Have you checked your levels ?

+1 to checking the water levels and maybe giving your snail some calcium. When you moved everyone to the new tank, did you take the old filter media with you? How about the decor? Is it all new or did you use the old stuff? You might be in a new bacterial cycle or mini-cycle. Only a water test can tell you 100% though. A water change couldn't hurt...

Yeah no photos or videos are being published, I don't know why

Back
Top Bottom