Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wwaaaaaazzzzzuuuuuuppppp!

Hello everybody. Finally I got to post. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank. Currently have a magnum 350 pro canister filter and an Aquatech 20 to 40 gallon hang on the back that came with the tank. I just donated my fish to a man at Petco that was suggested to be a good caretaker. I had a six-inch tiger Oscar and three Gromneys. I switched my gravel substrate to a play sand substrate (tons of washing). Yesterday I went and bought two small albino bristle nose Plecos, three Tiger nerite nails, and two pieces of driftwood. I don't have any pictures of the new set up yet, but I will post some when I get home this evening. My fiancť and I want to do a community tank of school fish. Thinking about Tiger barbs. Also I would really like to do some live plants, but not sure if I should start with the live plants and then and fish, or if I should do the fish first and then add plants. Also instead of tiger barbs or in addition to Tiger barbs if they are compatible, my fiancť likes freshwater angelfish.
I have been into the aquarium hobby for about a month and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have a feeling this will be a lifelong hobby of mine. I love researching all about the different fish and plants. I also enjoy this website and the advice that I have gotten and hopefully the wonderful advice that I will get in the future.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

No barbs nip at the fins of angels

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing View Post
No barbs nip at the fins of angels

Check-Angels it is
Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393351859.320870.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	224750
My ABN chillin on my filter outlet.
Getting number two today after 1
Old 02-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wwaaaaaazzzzzuuuuuuppppp!

What kind of Pleco is it?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

albino bristlenose. I bought two Sunday because our petco had a 50% off freshwater fish and plant sale. So I got two albino bristlenoses and one went straight to the bottom after acclimation and never moved (pronounced dead Monday morning). Going to trade the poor fella for a live one today. Also the one I still have has some tail fin missing. I think it was due to the tiger barbs in the tank that he was previously housed in at the store.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also purchased three tiger nerite snails that we named Ready, Set, and Go. Since then I have only been able to locate one at a time except for last night I spotted 2, but never all three.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok you mentioned in the OP I just forgot those grow slowly but look really nice once full grown
Old 02-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long did you cycle the tank?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought it stocked, possibly overstocked with a 6" tiger oscar and three 4" Gromneys. with the move (from me buying it) it was a complete water change. I also purchased a new canister filter but continued to use the original hob filter and still use it.
Had it for about three weeks, within those three weeks I did one partial water change at about 20%. Then I moved :/ drained 80% of the water for the move and transported fish in 5 gallon bucket. The large fish lived there for about a week. We did a pwc at about 50% at the new place and switched from gravel to play sand. Then I donated the large fish to a new home and got the ABNs and snails. I tested water last night: ammonia and nitrite were 0 and nitrate was 15ppm. So I planned to do a pwc today for the nitrates.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com