Wwaaaaaazzzzzuuuuuuppppp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krogman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everybody. Finally I got to post. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank. Currently have a magnum 350 pro canister filter and an Aquatech 20 to 40 gallon hang on the back that came with the tank. I just donated my fish to a man at Petco that was suggested to be a good caretaker. I had a six-inch tiger Oscar and three Gromneys. I switched my gravel substrate to a play sand substrate (tons of washing). Yesterday I went and bought two small albino bristle nose Plecos, three Tiger nerite nails, and two pieces of driftwood. I don't have any pictures of the new set up yet, but I will post some when I get home this evening. My fiancé and I want to do a community tank of school fish. Thinking about Tiger barbs. Also I would really like to do some live plants, but not sure if I should start with the live plants and then and fish, or if I should do the fish first and then add plants. Also instead of tiger barbs or in addition to Tiger barbs if they are compatible, my fiancé likes freshwater angelfish.
I have been into the aquarium hobby for about a month and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have a feeling this will be a lifelong hobby of mine. I love researching all about the different fish and plants. I also enjoy this website and the advice that I have gotten and hopefully the wonderful advice that I will get in the future.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393351859.320870.jpg
My ABN chillin on my filter outlet.
Getting number two today after 1 :)

albino bristlenose. I bought two Sunday because our petco had a 50% off freshwater fish and plant sale. So I got two albino bristlenoses and one went straight to the bottom after acclimation and never moved (pronounced dead Monday morning). Going to trade the poor fella for a live one today. Also the one I still have has some tail fin missing. I think it was due to the tiger barbs in the tank that he was previously housed in at the store.

Also purchased three tiger nerite snails that we named Ready, Set, and Go. Since then I have only been able to locate one at a time except for last night I spotted 2, but never all three.

I bought it stocked, possibly overstocked with a 6" tiger oscar and three 4" Gromneys. with the move (from me buying it) it was a complete water change. I also purchased a new canister filter but continued to use the original hob filter and still use it.
Had it for about three weeks, within those three weeks I did one partial water change at about 20%. Then I moved :/ drained 80% of the water for the move and transported fish in 5 gallon bucket. The large fish lived there for about a week. We did a pwc at about 50% at the new place and switched from gravel to play sand. Then I donated the large fish to a new home and got the ABNs and snails. I tested water last night: ammonia and nitrite were 0 and nitrate was 15ppm. So I planned to do a pwc today for the nitrates.

Give it at least a week from now to fully cycle the filter the new one don't add any more fish other than the ones Already added

It's suspicious that the BN Pleco died so fast so let's trouble shoot it so we know what's wrong

What kind of test kit strips or liquid test

API liquid test kit.
The hob has a new cartridge and it had no biofilter pad when i got it. I used some cut to fit blue media filter pad and put it where the biopad would go. I did that day one of having the tank and haven't changed it. I've had the micron filter in the can for about two weeks, it needs cleaning but I've been putting it off trying to keep any bb. Also the canister filter feeds two biowheels.
I agree with no more fish, except the ABN being picked up today, I feel comfortable adding him. I want to get a good handle on my water parameters and not get ahead of myself.

I suspect during the move or when you changed the substrate you may have killed some or all of your good bacteria

When you cleaned the sand did you just rinse it in tap water

What kind of sand is it? you say play sand what do you mean?

Did you clean any of the old filters or media. Is it the same filter media as when you bought it

You also want to test you tap water and tank water for
Ammonia
Nitrites
Ph

API liquid test kit.
The hob has a new cartridge and it had no biofilter pad when i got it. I used some cut to fit blue media filter pad and put it where the biopad would go. I did that day one of having the tank and haven't changed it. I've had the micron filter in the can for about two weeks, it needs cleaning but I've been putting it off trying to keep any bb. Also the canister filter feeds two biowheels.
I agree with no more fish, except the ABN being picked up today, I feel comfortable adding him. I want to get a good handle on my water parameters and not get ahead of myself.

BN Plecos are hardy fish and don't die vary easily that's why it's concerning one died the first day

So if your going to have to cycle the tank again they should be fine.

I dont if you are but Don't clean your filters if you need to get the gunk out rinse them in tank water

I bought from Home Depot "play sand" made by Paversand.

I rinsed it for hours with tap water. I added API water conditioner to the sand in the 5 gallon bucket then put it jn tank. Then I added rap water with water conditioner to the tank along with API Quick Start. Then added the large fish I had. Then Removed them and added the new. I was not there when the ABNs were added. My fiancé acclimated them. She said when they came out the bag one immediately started exploring and the the second never moved. She does to recall if he was moving while In The bag.
I hate it for the poor guy

I have only changed the hob filter once and that was the day I got the ABNs. But I did not change the biopad.
Also I have not tested tap water for anything-need to.
Last night ph test showed 7.6 and high ph test read 7.4 ?

Couple of things kill fish fast
Ammonia
Nitrites
And ph low or high
Or a big ph swing your readings look fine
Rapid change in temperature

It's important to test tap water because it gives you an idea where you water starts at

The poor little guy could have been sick before you got him but we won't know now

Still all pointing to you have killed off a lot of there good bacteria I have done it in the past it can take a couple of days or weeks for it colonize in the substrate or filter media

Last time this happened to me I used this and was back to normal in 2 days ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393363077.099919.jpg I dumped to whole bottle in my tank

I hope I didn't but may have. I did keep some gravel for aesthetic purposes and for bb. Gonna wait probably a couple weeks and then add angelfish and or plants. In that time i plan on getting a power head and might do something with my lighting.

Back
Top Bottom