Yellow Bellied Slider Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefphillyd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All!
I found my slider turtle in October of 2011. His left eye was severely swollen and as a result has shriveled and left him blind in that eye. His right eye is only slightly open and I think he is generally blind. He will lift his head if you walk to his tank in a white shirt and seems to be able to see reflection and light changes. Other than being blind, he is a very healthy turtle! His name is Clem Kadiddlehopper and I love this turtle!
I was wondering if there were any body language clues I could get from others? He has a UV lamp and a very healthy shell, and loves basking in the sun lamp. Once in a while, I'll see him opening and closing his mouth with his head in the air. What does that mean? I wonder if the tank is too warm (the water heater I have keeps the temp at 75F) or he's just getting a sense of his surroundings because of lack of sight.
He is very friendly and lets me stroke his neck. When I take him out sometimes he keeps his tail tucked under, despite being very active and moving freely about the carpet.
Any comments would help! Thank you so much!

-Chef D

Welcome to AA glad you joined us!! Glad you saved the turtle though!!

Welcome to AA!

The water isn't too warm. Do you have both a UVB and heat lamp for him?

sounds like he is just tasting the air around him double checking where he is. and the tail thing is very normal most sliders keep thier tails in and mainly use them to help steering if they are chasing food/swimming fast (not something you see in a tank)

Back
Top Bottom