Yep I'm a newbie too! And I need urgent help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karlz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Our leap into keeping fish happened when my son adopted a small tank with a goldfish called "Frank" who looked like he had been through a wringer from someone who couldn't be bothered looking after him anymore. He had a bulging eye and a distended tummy.

We thought Frank was lonely so got him a friend "Zippo" and they grew to the stage where there was no room for them to move anymore So that brings us to now - we have just upgraded to a 75 ltr tank, cycled it for a week and checked all levels with the pet shop who told us to add a bit of this and a bit of that and get the fish in there ASAP as she was surprised they weren't dead living in the small environment :nono:

Anyway things are now turning pear shaped. Frank has become quite lethargic and sitting on the bottom of the tank and Zippo has become quite erratic chasing Frank around and just generally racing around the tank hitting things. He also has started getting white patches on his body. I've read about Ich but I have no idea what I'm looking at. Also today white dots have started to appear on plants and filter in the tank. Can anyone give me some incite as to what is going on please? Have attached a photo but not sure how to attach more.

:thanks:

I looked at your albums and saw

The fish it kinda liked liked natural colorations
I don't know for sure. Somebody help me here

Thank you for reply but Omg you are going to think I'm an idiot but I just realised what it is with the white patches - we have never had a light over the tank so never seen them. I have just turned off the light and looked over and can't see the markings anymore. It's a blue type light so obviously it was showing them up. What a dill!

Any incite as to the white dots or the other fishes eye and stomach?

Poor guy that looks really painful:(. I think it is Popeye and Popeye is early signs of dropsy. The bloated stomach is a telltale sign of dropsy. Try feeding them blanched and shelled peas to help the bloating but all I can say for the eye is to just keep the water really clean. Good luck!

You've got two goldies in a 75 liter (20g) tank correct?

This could be the reason as to why one is very lethargic.... He could be dying due to the toxins in the tank. What is your water change schedule like?

If the fish with the pop eye is the one being chased it may be the result of an injury after hitting something.

Last question.... What and how much are you feeding them?

Thanks for your replies! I spoke to the previous owner and she said that his eye just seemed to get worse over time. There were no other fish in his tank and his eye has been like this for a year or so.

Yes 2 goldies in a 20 gallon tank. Not knowing anything about fish I went by what the pet shop who said 2 would be ok. Now I have done some more reading it seems no? They have only been in the new tank for less than a week and I don't have anywhere to separate them. What sort of water changing/cleaning routine do you suggest?

And I think I may have answered my own question about the white dots on the plants etc - this morning half of the, have disappeared and now there are little "things" swimming around or attached to the glass. Do I presume these are fry?

Thanks for your replies! I spoke to the previous owner and she said that his eye just seemed to get worse over time. There were no other fish in his tank and his eye has been like this for a year or so.

Yes 2 goldies in a 20 gallon tank. Not knowing anything about fish I went by what the pet shop who said 2 would be ok. Now I have done some more reading it seems no? They have only been in the new tank for less than a week and I don't have anywhere to separate them. What sort of water changing/cleaning routine do you suggest?

And I think I may have answered my own question about the white dots on the plants etc - this morning half of the, have disappeared and now there are little "things" swimming around or attached to the glass. Do I presume these are fry?

Very hard to say what the white dots were but I highly doubt they are fry. Let us know what they develop into!

Hmm as far as water changing and cleaning goes you will want to watch the levels. When they are elevated you will change the water. Ideally you'd have no ammonia or nitrite and 20ish ppm. These numbers will be harder to maintain as the fish grow.

:welcome: to the forum! You look like you are being taken care of. I have one question, did u cycle the new tank before you put them in? Acclimate? If the tank wasn't cycled they could be stressed due to water parameters changing and the tank cycling which can be hard on fish.

Also I agree with the rest said above.

Back
Top Bottom