Yet another new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandd661

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

Was told it was OK/requested to do an introduction here so, here we go.

Been wanting an aquarium for years but never pulled the trigger till now. I got a smoking good deal on a 40gl with just about everything to get started except décor, water and fish. It is definitely bigger than what I thought would be a good starter tank would be but, I couldn't pass it up at $40. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Anyway, The filter is a Penguin Bio Wheel 200 and is very quiet.

Just today, I finally got all the décor situated (picture below) but, the tank has been running for about five days. Apparently I'm a bit of a tweeker with décor. Yes, that is SpongeBob stuff in there but, what could I do when my 5 year old comes home with mommy and says "I got you a present daddy." I think I managed to make it work. I think I kind of like it (lol). I had to experiment with the heater for a bit but the temp has settled at 76 deg/f.

I have been combing this forum and have found it EXTREEMLY helpful. I'm actually excited about preparing and maintaining the mini ecosystem I have created. So watch for future posts like "OMG my fishless cycle isn't working!" lol. Speaking of which, I plan to start that today. I have bookmarked this thread, I got my API freshwater test kit (and have read the instructions), I got a journal to record my readings and I found some pure ammonia (what a quest that was.) I found the pure ammonia in the form of "Blue Ribbon Clear Ammonia" at True Value as suggested by a different thread. It's not listed on their website but I can confirm that they do have it in the store.

Ok, this is a lengthy intro and you will need to excuse my noobie enthusiasm. I'll end with thanking everyone who has put in the time to create a such a wonderful resource as AquariumAdvice.com.

Fish%20Tank%201%20small.jpg

Welcome to the hobby! I'm pretty new to the site too, though I've had the tank for about a year. Soon multi tank sydrome will take over like this. :invasion::invasion::invasion:: there'a a support group in the forum, just letting you know.
"Hi, I'm Rachel, and I have MTS. .."

lol @ oto. I know, wife caught me looking at nano tanks tonight! Jandd661 will be joining the ranks in no time! I wonder what way you'll go, larger or smaller.

LMAO. I was just eye balling a couple locations in my house that I could put a tank or two. I would not be surprised if I ended up with one main tank and a few small ones. Though I need to convince the wife that it is somehow a good thing.

Is there an 800 number for the MTS support group? :olympic:

It's a tricky business, you need to start small, and then move up lol. Talk her into a 5 gallon, buy her some flowers, then move up to a 6.5, then buy the chocolates.... >:) I've started with a nano tonight, soon second phase, a 10....

If you have a yard, you could start hinting about how a pond would look soooooo nice. :brows:
You might need a restaurant trip for this one.

It's a tricky business, you need to start small, and then move up lol. Talk her into a 5 gallon, buy her some flowers, then move up to a 6.5, then buy the chocolates.... >:) I've started with a nano tonight, soon second phase, a 10....

If you have a yard, you could start hinting about how a pond would look soooooo nice. :brows:
You might need a restaurant trip for this one.

I was thinking of pitching the "Homeless Fish" angle too. So that's flowers, chocolate, dinner, and poor homeless fish. I think this might work... :dance:

Welcome to the forum! You can always PM us if you have any questions!

Those jellyfish are so cool by the way.

Back
Top Bottom