Yet another newbie recovering from Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pantaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ich just took my pair of 6 year old goldfish. (Carnival-won goldfish inherited from friends about 5 years ago).

Over the years, they enjoyed upgrades to a 1 gallon, then a 2.5 gallon. I was preparing to step up to a "real" 10 gallon aquarium, but I didn't recognize the symptoms early enough.

It's been 12 days since the last fish was removed. I've done several 10%-20% water changes and gravel vacuumings. A couple of days ago I added Stress Zyme. Yesterday I did a 50% water change and put in a new filter element (Aqueon QuietFlow 10). I want to start adding fish, but I don't know if my water is ready.

I'll post my specific questions in the appropriate forums.

Before you add any fish, most of us will agree you should consider doing a fishless cycle. =]

Welcome to AA!

please don't put any more goldfish in your 10g tank :( they really need 30g for one goldie (MIN), plus an additional 10g for each additional goldie. they get quite large and are very messy (pee alot). when they are kept in tanks that are too small, they suffer from something called stunting, where their outsides are not allowed room enough to grow, but their insides keep growing. it's a very painful process for the fish :(

it sounds like you are on the right track, by coming here, and learning about cycling. just make sure to do some research on the fish you want to get and make sure you are able to meet their requirements :)

What type are you thinking about getting? You didn't say rather you were actually planning on goldfish, or if you were going to venture into something new.

Oh, and just so you know, ich needs 8 weeks to completely die. So I wouldn't add fish until at least 8 weeks have passed.

Thanks everyone.

Based on the advice I received in my thread, "http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/interpreting-test-kit-results-149309.html", I've started a "fishless cycle" to get my tank in proper shape.

Just as well, it will give me time to figure out what fish to get. I initially thought I would just get a couple of basic goldfish to start, but I know now, that's a bad idea.

This is VERY different than the "goldfish bowls" I've had the past several years! :eek:

I'm so glad you've learned so much! Best of luck with your fishless cycle!

Back
Top Bottom