Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You would think being a veterinarian...

Hi everyone!!

You would think as a veterinarian I would know how to keep my fish alive...but not so much. To be honest, unless students took the aquatics courses and rotations (which I didn't since I "specialized" in other species) then out of the 4 years of veterinary school, maybe 2 days of lecture would be spent on fish. So, I'm here to learn!!

At our vet school graduation awards ceremony, my mom won a raffle. This entitled her to our table's center piece. Curiously enough, the center piece contained a betta fish! So, we took him on our 5 hour trip back home and Hilton (named after the hotel where the event was held) now lives in a 5 gallon tank. Since he was sort of an unplanned new addition to the family, his first living accomodations weren't ideal and I'm still trying to figure out how I never learned about cycling his new bigger tank until...well, tonight. Anyway, there are plenty of other things I haven't figured out, but I'll leave those questions to other threads.

One thing I do know about fish is that just as any other animal, their living space, if cared for properly, can be a large contributor to a great low-stress life. That's why a properly set up aquarium is essential. I'm trying to learn about this topic and this is a great community to learn from.

Thanks a lot!!

SoFla94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome. at least you can admit it. glad you are here to learn. ask away if you have any questions.

mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Slight detour: I am boggled that a vet school event had a live animal decoration, and that they gave a live animal as a "prize".

I would suggest also getting an ammonia detector or ammonia test strips. To begin with you will need to do a lot of partial watter changes to keep the levels down. But as good bacteria build up you will be able to do these less often.

p.s. show pictures of the fish ! Fish pictures always appreciated!
a small aquarium blog
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
just thought id congratulate you on finishing vet school... big accomplishment...
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

Welcome to AA! Check out the already started threads then ask away any questions you may have. We are here to help. And also congrats on your graduation!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Congrats Doc! Welcome to AA, this is one heck of a site to learn new things!
Vote AA!
Sharkbait430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Joker741 Send a message via MSN to Joker741 Send a message via Yahoo to Joker741
Welcome to AA, I have learned a ton on here.
90 gallon FW community tank, 5 gallon - electric blue lobster (House of Blue), Marineland Hex 5 - quarantine/hospital tank.
Joker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Oh yeah you will learn a lot here.

I know from this and the other aquarium site I visit that I didn't know squat. Rushed into my first 20g tank and was lucky. My second tank was a 30g and I thought I did things right but am learning I was too impatient. I am not restoring a 20g tank a friend gave me and want to try to do this one right.

I'm getting crash courses in biology and chemistry. I didn't have good teachers for them in high school (20+ years ago). A tank is not like having a cat or a dog. The only real changes in the environment for land mammals is a comfy place to eat and sleep.... with fish you need to keep and eye on just about every aspect of their "life support system".

JPKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com