Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2006, 12:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

my skimmer? Really? For the whole tank filtration? and what is a 180 micron bag? Bag of what? hehe sorry I'm a bit new to this. And what is the sand on the right for? And what overflow would you recommend? That's different from the siphon thing right? Becuase I don't like the idea of a siphon running my system...

Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The 180 micron bag is the bag you see on the bottom of my drain line. 180 micron is the size of the 'holes' in the bag. 180 is fairly large, a 100 micron bag/'sock' is more common. And yes, there's a foam prefilter on my overflow. It's a Hurricane Quietflo-600 overflow. A HOB overflow like mine is most definately a siphon, as are all HOB overflows.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok well what are the changes of the siphoning failing or something? How sure are you of your system never overflowing? I can just see the siphon stop for some reason and the pump keep going...
Old 02-24-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the siphon breaks, and the pump keeps going, the water that's in the return section of the sump will get pumped into the main tank, and that's it. There's enough room in the main tank to handle that amount of water (I think), but if not, it won't be much that overflows. The biggest issue if the siphon breaks is the pump will burn up. I'm not worried about the siphon breaking, however, the Hurricane overflow works real well. The more important issue is the power going out. When that happens, the siphon still works, and the water keeps draining. The water will keep draining until the siphon breaks, through the overflow, AND the return line. The overflow's siphon will break when the water level in the main tank reaches the bottom of the 'slots' in the part of the overflow that's in the main tank. I've got a small hole drilled in the return plumbing, just under the normal operating water level of the tank, so the siphon in the return line will break when the water level gets below that hole. You just need to make sure that you're sump will handle the water that gets drained from both the overflow and the return line until the siphon breaks. Easiest way to test that is to get your system up and running, and then pull the plug on your pump, and watch.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh ok...I understand now. Yea, I didn't even think of the siphon from my return line lol!

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com