Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to kagentx
10 gallon filter

hi, i'm fixing up a 10 gallon tank for one of my friends and i got stuck on the filter part, can i leave the bio bag which contains carbon in it in the filter? I've heard many stories of how those are bad for plants because it absorbs nutrients... thinking about it, wouldn't that be good for the initial set up? then just take it out after.

The equipments are the following:
Twin Tube Hood
Ebo heater 50
flourite substrate
Tropica master growth
excel (since she doesnt know how to mix CO2)
Amquel
Whisper Power Filter 10

Think that's good enough guys? Don't want to disappoint someone who depends on me. i'm sure u guys noe how i feel

Old 07-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #2

Carbon is not "bad" for plants in the way that pouring Clorox into the gene pool is bad. But carbon can cause problems in some tank. Note that we are talking about fast tanks where keeping the nutrients in balance is more of an art than science.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

whisper filters are junk. when it dies, replace it with the small AquaClear instead.

carbon won't ruin a planted tank...but it's not really gonna help it.
in freshwater tanks, you shouldn't really need carbon, ever. good tank husbandry will keep things pristine.
in a saltwater tank, carbon is more useful and serves a greater purpose.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
whisper filters are junk. when it dies, replace it with the small AquaClear instead
You should probably consider an Aquaclear Mini, or something similar from another company, but whispers really are no good.

I've got carbon in my filter with plants, but I add FloraPride.

You guys are kind of making me consider not replacing the carbon when it comes time to change it, since I'm planning on adding more plants.
many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to kagentx
alrite then i guess the aquaclear mini it is...

i guess somethings work for others and some doesn't. i'm still mustering info about FW so SW tanks are like out of reach for now.

what's up with the undergravel filter though, i've read from krib's that it's not that bad for a 10 gallon tank as long as you set the power head to low power. With this, i dun have to clean the gravel.

Tags
10 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com