100 gal tank leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txredneck29

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well a little over a month ago I was given a nice 100 gallon Bowfront tank. I set it up with just sand and water and HOB filter for the 3 weeks I had to go to work. The day I was to return home the wife calls and says the tanks leaking slowly but couldn't tell where the leak was. So she drained the tank and we have it in garage now. Question Is there places who can and will reseal a tank? Is it something that can be trusted or should I just try to get rid of the tank and look for a new one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally, I'm the type of guy that would junk it, and buy a new tank. (a good brand and nice clean silicone joins)

I know alot of people would try fix it, and probably will do a good job too, but im just paranoid and don't want an ocean drained all over my floor.

Glass tank with nice silicone in my eyes is the most important equipment.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd find a good sturdy surface outside and see if you can pinpoint the leak. It could just need more silicone.

Caleb

I'd strip it and do a complete reseal of you're going to use is. Hate to see a spot patch start to leak again after all the extra work. Silicone doesn't bond all that well to itself after its cured. Not to say it wont.. i just wouldn't chance it. It the leak is up high the odds of success go up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Indeed, it is worth the effort and, while tedious, not technically difficult, to strip and reseal. For those that have lots of money, you could replace. However, the replacement could do the same thing in time. At least half of my tanks were returned to the store as leakers. They have held water for over 15 years now.

Hi BillD,
Did you return your tanks to the store, because they leaked after 15 years?

Does that mean tanks silicone normally hold water for around 15 years give or take?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom