100 Gal Tank, No Clue what filter to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chueyboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been running a 100 Gal tank for about a year now and I have 2 Penguin 330's. I am not happy with them at all. I have been doing a ton of research and I hear pro's and con's regarding every filtration system. I was leaning towards a Fluval or some type of cannister system? Is that a good idea or should I go a different route?

Tank is made up of community fish. In the future, I would like to go saltwater.

Please help with suggestions!

Thank You !

Chueyboy said:
Tank is made up of community fish. In the future, I would like to go saltwater.

Please help with suggestions!

Thank You !

I would suggest a wet/dry for your tank. 1 W/D is cheaper then 2 canisters and yes you will need 2 canisters if you want to loose the penguins. They are the most efficient filter for any large FO tank.
I run a W/D on any tank larger then 55-60 gallons. If you thought you were more into a reef I would say a sump/refugium combo.
In a SW FO tank you size I would run a W/D, a UV sterilizer, and if there is money left get a good skimmer.
JMO HIH
S

I currently have a 100 gal. cichlid tank and have an XP2 and XP3 running (filstar). They keep the tank crystal clear even with the pigs I have in the tank. I have never used a W/D filter though.

Back
Top Bottom