Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

10g planted tank lighting

So I want to turn my 10g into a planted aquarium. I bought some of those top fin bulbs from petco and would like to get them to grow. I need to know what a good hood light would be for a 10g? I have seen the one they sell at walmart for about 20$, Im not sure on the watts but I believe that it is 1 watt of light per gallon of water? Correct me if im wrong. So as long as its at least 10 watts woluld that work?

Thanks
Marv

Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

hello Marvelous and Welcome to AA!

Just a quick piece of advice for you to consider is purchasing a Glass Top instead of a Regular Aquarium Hood because a Glass Top would allow you more lighting options.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

glass top

Thank you thats a great idea, i think that will be easiest for me.
Marv
Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

For a small tank, the watts per gal rule don't work. You need more wpg to get to an equivalent light level compared to a large tank.

1 wpg over a 10 gal will not be too great for plants. Depending on the light (some are more efficient than others), 2-3 wpg is what you should be aiming for (A high light tank will have 5-6 wpg). <I used to have a 33W T12 fluorescent over a 10, and that is only low to med level.>

A glass top will definitely give you the most options. You can hang fixtures from the ceiling, or attach them to the rim with legs. And you are not tied to any aquarium fixture, as an ordinary fixture (with the right spectrum bulb) will work as well.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 AM   #5

watt per gallon

Oh really, well I didnt know that either. Im going to try to get a glass top today if the roads arent too bad. We just had an ice storm last night so idk, but ill definetly have one before the weekend is out. Thanks to both of you.

Marv

Tags
light, lighting, plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com