10g planted with just gravel, + fish, snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traceyrollin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok hello everyone. I'm a newbie. I'm Tracey. I've got a 10g tank... with a tiny filter... I want to do a canister filter because the one I put in originally is just not moving enough water. It works off the air pump. Considering the fact that I don't need a really high flow rate because I have a beta and a couple Chinese algae eaters that are simply not good swimmers, I've had both types of fish sucked up in water fall filters before. I don't want that to ever happen again because I love betas and it's heartbreaking for me. What specs should I look for? Do they even make a canister filter for 10 gallon tanks? And hang on side is just not an option because I'd have to baffle the intake with some netting to prevent fish sucking and killing. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is a recent picture to give yous a better idea of what I've got going on...

Attachments

• 1475930075686.jpg
    1475930075686.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 129
Also I'm due for a water change on Wednesday as usual. And I dose with liquid ferts 3 times a week, drop in co2 daily.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can get foam prefilters to cover the siphon on a HOB filter.

We use them to protect our snails and fry. The only trick is to squeeze them out when you do water changes.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

I've got a bamboo shrimp that would keep it picked clean. But thank you for the advice... HOB means hang on back right? I really don't want one of those. The thing is on my nightstand and they tend to make alot of noise... But if that's the best I. can do... I was truly hoping for a canister under the stand type filter. And what kinds of numbers I need to be looking for. Like for example flow rates, gph type of filter media. And if they even make them that small.. But if there is no such thing then I guess I'll be forced to settle won't I? Or are some canister filters adjustable? Where I could get one for a 20g tank and just turn the gph down enough to do what I need it for until I upgrade to a proper 20g tank with all the juicy bells and whistles?

I don't know a lot about canister filters, but it looks like ZooMed makes one for small tanks.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Ok cool thanks. I'll look into it.

My canisters have all been nosy before but my Aquaclear HOB filter is soo quiet and only has the soft sound of water flow. I love it and would definitely recommend it. I've heard good things anout sponge filters as well :)

Thank you guppygourami. I appreciate that. I've been looking at ZooMed since nrbhao mentioned it. I like that one so far and I can get it at pet smart or petco. My lfs doesn't carry more than diy setups. And this one I have is just crap. So I will also look at aquaclear and see what they have.

You can adjust flow on aqua clear as well. I run ac 30 on 10g. Id run a 50 on a 20h. If it was 20L then you could add another 30 at the other end. Filters have great customization with media.

Thanks flchamp89. I'll look at those a little more.

I run sponge filters in all my tanks as a backup on a battery operated pump. If you have a bamboo shrimp, I would highly recommend a sponge filter because bamboo shrimp like to filter feed and it's so cool to watch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you guppygourami. I appreciate that. I've been looking at ZooMed since nrbhao mentioned it. I like that one so far and I can get it at pet smart or petco. My lfs doesn't carry more than diy setups. And this one I have is just crap. So I will also look at aquaclear and see what they have.

No problem. Tell us how it is, I've never heard of ZooMed before. I absolutely love AC. As someone above mentioned, you can adjust them however you want. I have a sponge over the intake for fry and it's a great filter in general. Update us!

Will let you all know what I get when I get it. Specs and all. I appreciate all the help will be a week from today before I can get one.

A few thoughts...

Skirt Tetras should be in groups and are notorious Fin nippers. Regardless of color. Keep an eye on Betta for damage.

CAE grow to 12", only eat Algae as babies and suck body slime off any other fish they can catch.

You have Snails so you don't need CAE.

To keep your lillies bushy, trim any leaves before they hit the surface.

Enjoy your tank.

Cae' s grow to 12" in length? ?the pcs said they only get to like 2 maybe 3 inches... wth am I gonna do with them when they get bigger?

And the snails haven't really touched much algae since they got big. I was going to give them to a friend of mine. She has a 30g that she is setting up. She is much more skilled than I am. Well chok it up to more rookie mistakes. I'll see what I can do about my situation in the tanks.

Apparently you can't trust every lfs. At all. Even if they've been there and kept fish for 30 years and are a family owned store.

CAE or snails or shrimp shouldn't be relied on for there cleaning abilities. Rather look at it as livestock with a bonus. Not every nerite or oto is going to do a good job.

And what lillies? I didn't know I had any lillies. Other than a peace Lilly in the top filter of the 3 gallon but that's not exactly a submersible plant. You can let the roots dangle in but keep the actually plant out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom