10g stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floyd R Turbo

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I know the answer to this question but thought I'd ask. I got a 10g for a fry tank, I have an old bedside stand that is about 18-1/2" wide, tank is 20", will that be ok to use or should I put a piece of plywood under it to be safe. I'm guessing it's ok without it.

I wouldn't chance it. The tank is supported entirely by the rim. <Bottom pane is raised.> If the sides are not supported, that will put stress on the joints. For a 10, it is prob not too much, but a piece of plywood is cheap insurance.

As it turns out, that nightstand was too rickety and the tank wasn't sitting flat on the bottom, so I have to do that anyways I guess. I appreciate the advice!

Ok, next silly question. I had a scrap piece of 3/8" plywood that I cut for under the 10g. The problem now is that is it warped. The side I wanted up is bowed down in the center, up at the edges, so when the (empty) tank sits on it, the left & right edges are fully in contact, but at the center there is a gap of about 1/8 of an inch. If I put some weight on it, it's smaller but still there and I'm guessing with 80 lbs of water it's still going to be there.

Since the corners would be supported using the plywood, is that at least better than having them hang off the edge of the stand, or should I get another (unwarped) piece of plywood?

Back
Top Bottom