10g Tank Divider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a 10g tank that I would like to put 2 male bettas in, maybe a snail or 2 or aquatic frogs. is there some how I can make a divider to keep the bettas apart? It would also have to make it so they couldn't see each other. I was thinking some kind of plastic vent type something. Anyone have any ideas?

smomus said:
I just bought a 10g tank that I would like to put 2 male bettas in, maybe a snail or 2 or aquatic frogs. is there some how I can make a divider to keep the bettas apart? It would also have to make it so they couldn't see each other. I was thinking some kind of plastic vent type something. Anyone have any ideas?

To me it's a bad idea. Bettas can jump ! And I've heard many stories of dividers failing. I'm glad you say you want them to NOT see each other, that would be lots of stress.

GL. Maybe someone else has better thoughts on this. This was my 10g Betta Tank

image-3201263568.jpg

http://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t3105-simple-canvas-betta-tank-divider
I made some dividers using this method. They work very well. I made them go right from the very top to the bottom. The bottom is covered by the substrate and the lids stop jumpers. I'll just swap devices, find my pictures and upload some to show you.

Edit:

image-1175149896.jpg

image-3284044496.jpg

image-3407036690.jpg

These pics are kind of old. The plants have grown heaps.
It's a 26gallon tank with 4 sections. First half has a female sorority and the second half has three sections each with a male. I can say they have NEVER attacked each other through the dividers. When I first added the males they flared at each other for the first few days but now they completely ignore each other. A couple of the females like to hang beside the divider and watch the male next door but neither ever flare, pace the divider, attack or hide.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mumma.of.two! I was totally coming back with that exact link to ask if any one had tried it. I'm so glad you have had success with that, your tank is amazing.
Now for my next question. In the comments of that link, someone made the suggestion of tying Java moss to the canvas. The lights for my tank are very low light. I like the idea of the added plant barrier though. Is there something that will thrive in low light that would work with the canvas?

Java moss would be perfect. It grows in ambient light right up to high light. If you were going to cover the divider I'd suggest a sponge filter for each side. If there's only one filter on one side IMO there won't be enough flow between the divider. Another option would be a HOB with the intake on one side and the outtake on the other side of the divider.

Ok have it complete! :)
I'll raise the water level once I get both bettas in. will be interesting to see how they do with each other..

View attachment 89699

At first I used a white divider. Hated it! My substrate is black so it just stood out too much. Yesterday I got a black one and fitted it in today. Much better!
The bettas are more interested in playing in the bubbles at the back of the tank then each other. When I changed the divider they ended up together somehow. Flared some at each other but then was like, whatever and swam off. Both of them are brighter and seem happier. One of them, Louis, I've only ever seen as blue, but since going in this tank he's turned part red through his fins too! He is working on growing back some fins that were nipped of by a tetra in my community tank. The other one, Prince had turned a lavender color with some blue and red woven in. Both are so pretty now!
Thank you so much for your help!

ForumRunner_20120421_152304.jpg

ForumRunner_20120421_152252.jpg

Back
Top Bottom