125 G tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been told by a few people I know that any tank over 90G are prone to leaking and will most likely need to be resealed every 2 or 3 years. I find this hard to believe because so many are out there. Just wondering what everyones experiance has been with larger tanks. I want to get a 125.

I have two 125g tanks up at the moment. :) Both have been up over a year, closer to 2 years for my cichlid tank and I have not had any bowing or other issues with either one of them. The 125g reef has had over 300lbs of rock and 300-400lbs of sand in it with no problems. The reef tank also has a center support brace sagging and a large gouge in the corner of the glass in the back and still no issues. :) Knock on wood! lol

Just make sure that if you buy a 125g used that the seals all look good and it';s in good condition. If the tank is taken care of then you should be fine.

Who is telling you this?

I don't own any tanks over 55 right now personally (hoping to change that), but of all the big ones I've seen at shops and friend's houses, none have had issues that weren't owner related. Such as poorly made stands that sagged or weren't square or both, being set on a floor without being leveled, large rocks not secured that fell inside after fish undermined them and cracked the glass, etc.

It's so much more important to make sure a large tank is on a great stand than it is with smaller tanks. The pressures and shear forces are much greater, as is expected.

Big tanks are no different than small tanks, only they're bigger. So no leaks. Or very rarely do they leak.

I think the OP believes this because these tanks are harder to transport so its easier for them to leak. If they are carried with one person on easy end the middle tends to have too much pressure and cracks. You need to be very careful when transporting larger tanks

Thanks for the replies everyone I think the people that told me this either didnt use a proper stand and had leaks from twisting or just dont want me to have a larger tank than they do. I have a 75 now and they both have 90s.

Back
Top Bottom