Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

125 tank setup

Hey everybody,

I've posted here a few times and always got good info so I thought this would be the place to go. I have a 29 gallon mbuna cichlid tank and I'm planning on expanding into a 125 gallon within a couple of months. I also want to raise a baby arowana for my friends 250 g, he can't really add any juvenile fish. Plus i really want to keep an arowana at least for a while. Do you guys see any problems with the combo of mbuna and an arowana? And what's the growth rate of an arowana? Just so I know when I'll have to give it up. I have plenty of experience with aquariums my size and smaller but I've never tried a large tank, is there any advice or common problems I should know about? I definitely want to use a sump, and I hope to eventually add a good amount of plants. I haven't had any problems with my cichlids on my 29 eating any of my plants faster than they can grow. Any advice on substrate? Thanks

Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aside from the water chemistry, the first thing that comes to mind is the growth rate. An arowana will grow much, much faster than any African cichlid, and will naturally eat anything it can fit into its large mouth.
Substrate is a matter of personal preference. I like pool filter sand because it's easier to keep clean than gravel, particularly with rocks piled up.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've heard about pool filter sand, would 1lb per gallon still be appropriate? And I was going off the assumption that African arowanas must require similar chemistry to African cichlids. Could be entirely wrong. I also read that arowana only feed near the surface, and since mbuna are bottom rock dwellers I thought it would be alright. Does anybody have any experience with this setup or know of anybody who has tried it? And thanks for responding
Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mbuna come from Lake Malawi, where the pH is generally around 8.2 or close to it. Arowana's are Amazon river fish, completely different ecosystem and water chemistry. Food is another consideration, mbuna need a veggie-based diet to keep them from getting bloat.

Tags
125 gallon, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com