125g not level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cksasquatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently setup a 125g and it is not level. There is a 1" difference in water level from one side to the other 6ft side. How bad is this? I noticed my stand is barely off the ground in the middle. The corners are on the ground. I just placed shims underneath the middle of the aquarium on the front all the way across. The stand is built with 2x4s. Is this ok? It might not be possible to shim the backside of the aquarium in because it is against the wall Nd it is slightly off the ground. Should I be worried? Thanks. It has been filled for 5 days now.

Also, it is in the basement on a tile floor next to the drain. I don't have many places to put it. I think this is why it is slanted because it is 2 ft from the drain.

I think it's safe as long as the tank isn't twisted. Like from left corner an inch higher then the back right corner and the front right an inch lower then the back left and what not. If you don't mind the 1" difference then neither do your fish. Just shim it where the stand isn't touching the ground and your safe.

Next big tank, it's always a good idea to make sure it's level before filling because if it's "twisted" then it can break very fast and 125g is a lot of water on the floor, even in a basement with a drain!

What exactly do you mean by twisted? Little confusing.

The front left and back left are level. The front right and front back are level. The unevenness comes from the left side of the tank to the right. The middle of the stand is just slightly above the tile. And by middle I mean most of stand. The corners and sides are touching the ground. I shimmed the front but I am unable to reach the back as it is against the wall. It is making an odd "knocking" sound. Anyone heard this sound? It's freaking me out or maybe I'm just paranoid.

What exactly do you mean by twisted? Little confusing.

The front left and back left are level. The front right and front back are level. The unevenness comes from the left side of the tank to the right. The middle of the stand is just slightly above the tile. And by middle I mean most of stand. The corners and sides are touching the ground. I shimmed the front but I am unable to reach the back as it is against the wall. It is making an odd "knocking" sound. Anyone heard this sound? It's freaking me out or maybe I'm just paranoid.

I have a 55 on a 2x4 stand that wasn't quite level from left to right. About a half inch. Well, it made that knocking noise for about a week or so. It's now level.

What Jwh means about the tank twisting is like if the rear left is higher then the front left and the rear right is lower then the front right you have a twist glass doesn't like bending like at all so level is best :)

What Jwh means about the tank twisting is like if the rear left is higher then the front left and the rear right is lower then the front right you have a twist glass doesn't like bending like at all so level is best :)

Yes what daryl said! I was trying to explain it but I didn't exactly know how!

I think it may have been my heater. I unplugged it before I left for work and hopefully tank is still good when I get home. Anyone else every have a heater make a creaking or popping sound?

Yes when the suction cups are positioned over the heating element they will make a popping/clicking sound

Put a level on the floor in front of tank and see if the floor is out of wack. If so I would move the tank to a level floor because 1 inch is to much in my opinion. Good luck

I build a lot of tank stands and custom enclosure set ups. I always make sure that what the tank sits on its dead flat and can transfer weight of at least double the projected total down to the Flooring surface. I build the stand levelling into the base or legs according to what it's resting on. I'm always afraid of any tank wobble and try to avoid leveling the tank at all, only what it rests on

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just recently setup a 125g and it is not level. There is a 1" difference in water level from one side to the other 6ft side. How bad is this? I noticed my stand is barely off the ground in the middle. The corners are on the ground. I just placed shims underneath the middle of the aquarium on the front all the way across. The stand is built with 2x4s. Is this ok? It might not be possible to shim the backside of the aquarium in because it is against the wall Nd it is slightly off the ground. Should I be worried? Thanks. It has been filled for 5 days now.
I would lower the water as much as possible or even empty it if possible. Then work on getting it level. One inch is a lot of water in a 125g tank. It will place extra strain on one area of the tank which is not ideal long term. It may not cause any issues short term but could weaken the silicone over time. It may sit there for 20yrs with no issues but why risk it......

Back
Top Bottom