150 Gallon No filter help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoop531

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just picked up a 150 gallon tank for 100 bucks!! No holes are drilled nor has an over flow. He gave me a Little Giant 1300 GPH inline pump. While out I also picked up a approx 10 Gallon plexiglass media filter box that is divided in half with bioballs in half of it for 10 bucks. But thats all I have for a filtration system. Im a carpenter and could make anything up! What would I need to do to make this work, are there any good DIY articals. Or pictures of setups so i can get some ideas? I dont want to drill my tank if possible

What are you planning to do with the tank? If SW then I agree you should drill it and build a sump but if going FW then I think a canister may be better IMO. You wouldn't need to do any drilling that way.

Im going FW with cichlids

Here some more info

The sump box i have is about 15 gallons i was thinking hang on over flow Im going to a raid some more items from the pet store that closed today maybe ill find some more goodies

What are you planning to do with the tank? If SW then I agree you should drill it and build a sump but if going FW then I think a canister may be better IMO. You wouldn't need to do any drilling that way.
i agree with smitty. all you need is a cannister filter.

what store closed?

Fishman Down in Delaware They owed the building owner lots of back rent. I talked him into letting me take a peak at whats left over. I didnt see much but maybe i can find something decent to start with

yeah..i was there a couple days ago. a few big tanks in the wall and a whole bunch of 15 gallon tanks available.

I'd still go the sump route on a FW tank of that size. A 30g-55g will make a good sump for a tank that size. The sump tank doesn't have to be pretty, so you can get one pretty cheaply. I got an old braceless thick-glass 55g at a garage sale for $10. It'll be a sump for my big tank if I ever get the time and money to set it up.

Back
Top Bottom