165w dimmable led setting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olliefowler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi people
I have a the 165w chinese leds and have been running them on my tank for a few months at about 80% blues and whites!
So far corals are doing ok with the exception of a couple of recent additions!
I currently have the lights about a foot about water level with glass lid between them and the water!
I have been advised to run them at about 25%.
Would this benefit me?
My tank is 2ft deep!
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you acclimate the corals to the new light? If you didn't, you are basically burning them in a similar way of walking out of a dark room and into a bright sunny day.

Yea i think i spoke to you about it before! I did but moved them up after a couple of days!
The bloke in my lfs said i got my lights too high!

I have mine at 50% and my corals are doing great. Try knocking them down a bit

Do u have a 2ft deep tank? How high have you mounted them?
I dont want the chains and brackets on show so mine a quite low

Will the glass lid require me to have them higher??

I have a 2ft deep tank with I'm guessing the same Chinese leds and I run them 10in off the water at 100% white 100% blue. I know it sounds hight but after acclimating my corals slowly started at 50% and went up 25% per week. Now whenever I add new coral I will knock them back down to 50% and go through the same process. I don't think the lights need to be at 100% at all but it brightens the tank and corals have been growing well so I don't see why it too much. What kind of coral do you have? I have zoas, acros, hammer, candy cane, other sps and random softies.

90 gal reef

I had mine on 100% then chose to turn them down to 50% and have had really bad affects!! How long do you take to bring ur lights back to 100% and wat do u turn them down to?

For sps I turn the whites down to 50-60% and over a week and a half to two weeks bring it back up to 100% usually up it by 10% every 2-3 days. I always leave my blues at 100%. For softies I don't turn down my lights unless they start to look bad or loose color. And lps I turn down to 50% for a couple days then 75% for a couple days then 100% (as long as they are coming along well) it changes based on what kind of lighting the system they came out of had. Hope this helps:)

90 gal reef

Yea well i dropped my lights from 100 to 40/50 and i think it may have caused tissue recession in some lps!
I dont know why i did it. Always trying to improve it and sometimes it bites me on the bum i suppose!

Ya I am always like "how can I make my corals grow faster and look better?.......hey this is a great idea!!!! Crap, that was a stupid idea??

90 gal reef

I know! Its a nightmare int it! But only way to learn i suppose!
I am also way too impatient for this hobby. I turned those lights down to 40% in 24hours which was probably a bit silly looking at it now!

Ya sometimes those ideas work out well sometimes not so much;) hindsight is a funny thing isnt it!

90 gal reef

You had any problems with new corals bleeching etc then?

No I haven't. actually I brought back a bleached monti from a friends tank with this process

90 gal reef

Back
Top Bottom