Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
175 mh 10k

hey just got a free tank and 175 mh 10k came with i am replacing the buld before i use it. ok the tank is 65 gallon bowfront 17 inches wide and 30 inches tall with a four inch sand bed.
so what coral will do fine under this light and what want do well under this. just assume that i want to keep anything including clams. so let me know if you think a 250 or 400 mh is better or what your opions are, and what corals do well together. i have heard some have chemical warefare against each other is this true and if separte them to eithre side of the tank would this help along with the skimmer ? also what light is best for coraline growth?
thanks in advacne

flame82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
If you want to cover all the bases I think you would want at the least a 250 watt. Even better IMO would be a 400 watt suspended higher over the tank. 400 watts would give you plenty of light penetration and let you keep the lamp higher over the water helping with heat issues. just my thoughts. I use a 175 watt over my 20 gallon tank, it is 12 inches deep.
Soft corals can produce toxins (chemical warfare) so some people don't mix softies and LPS or SPS. Running GAC in a sump or canister can keep these toxins in check and you usually won't have any problems. Other things to consider are that some LPS corals can send out stinging sweeper tentacles that will damage nearby corals.
I recommend you pick up some good reef books that you can reference what corals you buy. Look for some of the books in this thread... http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=60483
Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com