Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

175g salt tank, water on the floor

My tank has been giving me problems for the last year or so. I get water soaked into the wood floor every day but I can't find any leaks. I finally redid all my wiring and made sure to get good drip loops and moved some things around. I cleaned the salt of the top sides of the tank that was building up.

For a week after that, things were good, the floor dried up. Then, it started again and I can't find any leaks, wet cables, anything. There is no salt build up on the sides yet it's back.

Googles not helping. I fear if I don't get this fixed soon it's going to rot the floor and the tank will fall through.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could your livestock be doing it? I'm a freshwater guy, but I have 3 catfish who routinely splash water out of the tank when they are looking for food at the surface, whether it's there or not.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not the fish, only a tang and one blue damsel right now (for 3 years).

thanks for replying though, valid question.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

do yo uhave a staged canister water filter that is on the ground?
I would start there
they tend to go bad and let air in the system
check the oring seal
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I don't have any filters. The water does seem to aerate a lot into the sump tank. I think that might be the cause, too much aeration and hence evaporation?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlinville View Post
I don't have any filters. The water does seem to aerate a lot into the sump tank. I think that might be the cause, too much aeration and hence evaporation?
I hate to say it but evaporation doesnt leave water on the floor ... I would guess you hava a slow leak somewhere... check your seals really good... I have heard of seals getting "squishy" and they seep water... press on them and see if you can see any water forced out... the edges of the tank, all connections to the sump, the sump tank itself... it has to be coming from somewhere and I would hate to hear of a total blowout...
Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't see a leak from the tank then it is possible the sump is leaking. Is the water pooling up more to one side than another? Do you have access to under your stand? If so put down paper towels and try to narrow down at least what side the water is coming from.

Tags
1.5g, 75g, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com