Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2004, 01:38 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would just like to say the tank looks great! I feel very badly for the situation that you had with your contractors. I am a contractor and it really bothers me when people rip people off. My profession(yah it's supposed to be a profession) has continually been damaged by the few people that thinks it's a quick money scheme and not only are they stealing from you they are essentially turning your life upsidedown. To have a job uncompleted for months at a time is unacceptable in my opinion. I take great pride in providing quality craftsmanship and honesty. Just my 2

Old 12-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am jealous i want a build in fish tank myself. But here in San Diego we don't have big houses (at least not ones i can afford ) and we don't have basements.

I diden't read all the messages but I would sugjest that if you guys do remodeling and adding a build in tank, run 220V electrical to the location and save money on electricity with the lighting and eventualy with the return pump.

And only select contractors you get referals for, otherwise you are screwed

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Freak

Edmonton : Thanks for feeling along with me. What made me really mad is that this contractor is referral by the Chicago Council of carpentry. I would think that a reputable council like this would use good contractor and union. Turn out that this contractor does not even have a permanent residency!! It is as good as me going down the street and randomly hire someone!! I blamed myself for trusting the Chicago council of carpentry and never double check. We file a complaint in BBB against the council and the contractors. Obviously, I don't see any way in recovering my losses I am glad that everything is behind me, now I can't wait to get this bad boy up and running with water My wife is nagging me to put fishes in NOW.

swissfish: Run 220V electrical?? Are you saying down convert it back to 110V after that. I heard this waste electricity because of the efficiency loss in the transformer.

nodoubt471: I like the starboard setup as well. My existing tank running sandbed is a hassle to maintain (just my opinion) and does not look as clean as starboard. I am using the black starboard. Have not decided my livestock yet. Most likely going with SPS. Will also move my existing livestock in my 46g tank to this setup as well.

Rocket: Starboard is the marine board that they use in boats. Something like cutting board. I will be using it for my "sandbed". So instead of sandbed, it will just be 2 slate of starboards join together on my tank bottom. The nice thing about marine board is that it is UV resistant, so will not turn yellow over time. But anyway, it will eventually covered with Corraline.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

ID? this critters??

I have 2 in my tanks. Look like a small snail to me but the shell does not resemble it.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are lights that run on 220V and there are pumps that run on 220V and they use less kwh, wich will have a positive efect on your electricity bill.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:48 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't want to confuse you guys.
Most of the houses in the US have a 220V feed to the main panel.
If you use one leg of 220V and the Neutral wire you'll get 110V.
If you use two legs you have 220V without using a transformer.

And yes you are right, if you would use a transformer the efficency would not be great.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:01 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
hrm....i haven't seen any MH ballasts that run on 220. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-22-2004, 05:48 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

@yaksplat

Had to look for it for a while. You owe me

http://www.reefsupply.com/section.ph...2c43be33d282c6
Old 12-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey this is off topic, but how's the new baby doing?
Old 12-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
oooo black starboard, this is exciting i have yet to actually see a setup with black starboard, all i have seen is white... im eagerly awaiting pics!! and your SPS (if you decide to go with them) will be oh so happy

keep it coming! i am living vicariously through you...

Tags
construction, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com