Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Freak

Over the holiday, finally get around to do the plumbing with the help of a RC friend.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak

More pics

Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overflow pics. Anyone has any ideas why the water heights is different between the 2 overflow?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics for the drain pipe into the sump. On the right side of the drain pipe, the water drain caused the pipe to vibrate a little. I am worried that the vibration can cause some trouble at the drain bulkgead in the future. I am trying to find out the root cause of the vibration. It seems to me that maybe the opening of the drain at the sump is too close to the surface and thus causing vibration due to the water movement. Anyone has any ideas?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Freak

In the event to screw it the bulkhead, I realized that my overflow opening at the stand does not have enough room for me to screw in from the bottom. I had to lift up my tank and slip in a 2x4 for support to screw the bulkhead.
however, my trim at the front is blocking the tank. I had to remove the trim in order to lift the tank high enough. The pic showed my friend doing the trim removal.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:55 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unexpected events always happened to me. When the plumbing is all done, we filled in the water, and with a switch of the button at my American DJ power panel, we started the pump. Everything went on fine. We ran the pump for 20mins and don't see any leaks. It was around 9pm and we decided to turn off the pump, put back the trim and go for dinner.
Coming back from dinner, I saw a small pool of water on the left side of the stand.
I rush out to get a flashlight and lo and behold, the return 3/4" bulkhead crack on me and the water back siphon. I adjust loc return above water to stop the back siphon, put a bucket below and unscrew the union and the male adapter to the bulkhead (I use threaded bulkhead). But as you guess it, how am I going to change out the bulk? I am not willing to remove the trim again. Nor will I want to remove my plumbing, ldrain the water and lift up the tank!!!
I drained the water in the overflow and went ot bed. The next morning, I went to Lowes, HD, Ace HW, NAPA and could not find any wrench that I can work from the bottom. I had my last stop in Sear Hardware and to my big sign of relief, I found the "miracle' tool that saved my agony. It allows me to work from the bottom. It does come with sizes that fit the 3/4" bulkhead and the 1" bulkhead. They are very costly though due to the odd size, but it is worth it.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Freak

Replaced the 3/4" bulkhead and restart the pump. To my agony, I saw another small leak at the return pipe after the union. It turned out that I forgot to glue in that piece
Well, we all learnt things the best in a hard way and I am just glad that after I fixed this leak, there isn't any more leak.
Well, as you can see, I did not hook up the skimmer because the shipment I received has a missing gate valve . Talk to Andy about it and I should received it this week.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
that is a big ol skimmer!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you diden't take of the stickers you can return that expensive socket and extension and buy a fish or two for it
Old 01-04-2005, 03:30 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! That is a huge skimmer! Very cool!

Mike

Tags
construction, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com