Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2005, 04:40 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are they falling off the glass? Most snails can't right themselves after they've fallen.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alex: I do have some fallen down that I have to upright them and they will be doing fine. But, I found empty shells and also some already died (you can smell it). I do see my cleaner shrimp nibbling one of the snail though. But I cannot confirm whether the snail died first and thus the shrimp feast it or the other way round.

Finally got to take some pics and update my tank. As you can see the Corraline is growing rapidly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank_071505_640x480.jpg (94.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg starboard_with_corraline_640x480.jpg (60.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg skimmate0001_640x480.jpg (25.7 KB, 386 views)

Old 07-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, interesting. What kind of bottom mat is that?

There doesn't seem to be much algae growth on the back wall -- give the back time to fully cover with algae and/or add more rock for algae supply.

Nature tends to balance itself out -- not enough algae or too many snails as there isn't anything from what it seems that would consume them or cause them to perish (unless you have skewed water specs which would give other signs).

I'm also one missing a large mexican turbo - but my dirty hermit ripped his shell off so mine isn't suspect of anything. Need to get the monster some alternate shells....
Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bottom mat is starboard.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #165
Aquarium Advice Freak

Schoeplein - The water parameters is fine. That is the first thing I do when I see snails dieing. Diatoms had been growing very slowly in my tank. That is what I setup my tank to do. I am suspecting the cleaner shrimp is part of it. I saw it dragging my YT to the rock and nibble on it right before the YT died in my old tank!!

Yes, the bottom mat is the black starboard.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From the pic above it seems you astrea snails. They have a very hard time turning themselves back over. If you don't get to it in time, it dies. Either of natural causes or shrimp/crabs kill it. (Maybe even fish, though Ive never seen fish gobble a snail) Turbos are more likely to right themselves as well as cerith and nassarius. Margarita and others seem to not be able to right themselves unless they land facing glass or rock. As for you snail losses, I too have had very little luck in getting snails to live for more than a couple months in my 75G. I used to think it was the levels of PO4 or Si. Possibly sensitive to even the smallest temp swings. The longest living snail I had was an astrea, they seem to be the hardiest, but you have to baby sit them. Turbos are not very atuned to temp changes. In my 29G a simple water change would throw some of them into a state of shock. As of right now, I have no snails and 1 crab in both tanks. Im sure some of my hair algea would be a little less, but the pollution from 1 large turbo croaking is no longer worth the risk in my opinion. Some folks on the other hand have great success with snails. Still a bit of a mystery to me.
GL!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Freak

PC; Yes, most of the snail is Turbo snail and I keep a ratio of roughly 1:3. I have about 90 Turbo and 30 cerith snail.

Lost another 3 last week. It just intresting to me that the snails I lost are all turbo/Astrea snail. all my cerith snail are doing fine

I am battling with Ph iisue in my tank right now. I recall 2-3 weeks ago, my Ph read 8.2. But doing the same measurement over the weekend show 7.3 8O . I had been adding Kalk right now to raise it slowly. Now, it is at 7.5. My Alkalinity is ok at 3. So, I am suspecting that my CO2 is excess since in my house, we close the window and let the AC runs.

Anyone has any thoughts on this??
Old 07-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Ceriths can right themselves I believe. Ceriths and nassarius are my favorite snails. They can right themselves and don't get real big and knock over stuff.

Try opening a window for a day and see what happens with the PH.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ellisz: I did take a sample of the water and bring it outdoor to check it. Surprisely, I found the pH remain the same. Check my alk again and it is sitting at 3.5. At this time, I am slowly adding Kalk to increase it, and my ph is around 7.7 as of last night
I began to love Cerith snail too. I see them being the Hardiest I experience so far.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have the Ph back to 8.0 during light on and 7.5 during light off. Will continue to add Kalk to improve it.

I have no death snail for the past 3 days. Another improvement.

I also place a fan to blow at my sump and was able to lower the temp from 82F to 80F. Another issue fix . Used to be that it will be sitting at 82F and climb up to 84F end of the light period. Right now, it is sitting at 80F regardless.

Tags
construction, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com