Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

lookin very nice! I bet you're just itchin to get that in aren't ya?

Old 06-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

BillyZ: You bet... Now, I don't know what to do with the water. Draining it is a waste, so I have been using to water my wife's flowers and plant. She had began to wonder why all of the sudden I am being so nice to her. Well, it just another excuse of mine to spend more time on the tank. Just hope that Mosquitoes will not start to breed in there.

Put up part of the drywall and completed the stand over the weekend. I left opening at the bottom front to give me easy access to the sump. However, with the arrival of the tank, I then realized that the opening of the in wall is not tall enough. The tank specs says is 72x24x24, and upon calling my LFS twice to confirm that it is really 24 tall including the bracket, I have my opening built 25" tall. Unfortunately, the LFS is WRONG!! The tank height with the black bracket is actually 25.5"!! Why did I trust the LFS?? So the alterations had to be done and I with the help of the contractor, tear down the top framing and redo it again to have the opening at 26.5". Well here are some pics after the alteratons is done.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice work! I am just itching to start one of these projects myself!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank specs says is 72x24x24, and upon calling my LFS twice to confirm that it is really 24 tall including the bracket, I have my opening built 25" tall. Unfortunately, the LFS is WRONG!! The tank height with the black bracket is actually 25.5"!! Why did I trust the LFS??

Same thing happened to me when I built mine, 1/2 inch to short. I'm reliving my experience through you.

No middle support in the back? If you can get away w/ it, great!! Man, I dont know.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seems like all people sells their tank as pleased.

In my case i left the wallhole like 5" higher than tank, and when i placed the tank i have just .5" left :S

JH
Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedihunter
Seems like all people sells their tank as pleased.

In my case i left the wallhole like 5" higher than tank, and when i placed the tank i have just .5" left :S

JH

Alright?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Old 06-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright?

well you have to cut that extra 1.5" from Your tank !!!! LOL

As i stated before seems that marketing is taking control over Aquarism 2!!!

Think you r lucky you have drywall. In my case i have concrete (imagine the process for adding one more inch)

JH
Old 06-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice Job. I am doing the same thing right now in my basement with a 225. I will take some pics and post them when I have a chance.

Are you going to put plywood down on the top of the stand? If you have the space I would suggest it since the 2x4's will shrink up and move a bit so the plywood will give you a nice level base to hold your tank.

I would also look into putting some lateral support from the back support posts to the front to keep it sturdy front to back. This should help since you do not have a center support.

keep up the good work it looks great. Mine is being sheet rocked this weekend. I have done the rest of it myself but want to get it done so I can fill my tank and start the cycling process.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

GrndHog: Thanks for sharing the same experience with me. I felt better. I have a carpenter take a look at it and he felt confident that no middle support on the back is ok. Also, note that from the pics, I have the 2x4 place the other way that will give it more robust to withstand the weight.

tmcpeek: Yes, I intend to put granite countertop on the stand. Still looking at all the options though. I am afraid the granite may be hard to cut holes for the overflow.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He does realize the weight that your stand is going to support is going to around 2200lbs, right?

Not doubting you, but just talking it out w/ you.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Tags
construction, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com