180g In Wall Construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, just want to update that I received my lighthood made by Coralvue. Overall, I am happy with it. But the way the package arrived, I knew that Fedex does not handle it with care. The side of the box looked pretty bad. As a results, there is chip off at the glass shield. The glass shield also scratches the reflector on the side. There are minor dent on the lighthood as well. :cry: So it is not as good as I expect but I am glad that every bulb worked.

As for my fish room, nothing new is done. I had a terrible week last week. My folks is facing some crisis that I need to attend to. My plumber and electrician never showed up for the whole week. These contractors started playing games with me and give all sorts of excuses. Eg. Car break down, Need to attend courts, etc etc. To make matters worst, they lied to me that they had submitted the required appliation for the permit. It turned out that they did not and they did not even have the License Permit Bond for the permit. It is a nightmare. I took timeoff to tried to meet up with them, but they never showed up. It had been 2 weeks and nothing is done to the permit!!! :evil: In the meantime, my 180g tank is collecting dust :cry: I am in the state of not knowing what to do to them and just hope for the best. It really kill my joy in setting up the fish room.

Actually, for the light hood, the original plan is to DIY with retrofits. Almost ordered the retrofit until I get to know that Coralvue have a light hood that price relatively close to DIY. So why waste the time when somebody can do a better job for you.

I did change my Service panel from 150A to 200A. And have a few dedicated circuit for the fish room. The GFI box is already in the fish room, but still waiting for the Electrician to hook the wiring up.

Believe it or not, My 180g of water in the tank that I did for the leak test is almost used up. :p Due to the hotter weather, those tank water is perfect for gardening....

:roll: man thats gotta be frustrating. Well, your right as a consumer is to be sure everyone you know never uses those contractors or anyone associated with them. If things get too far out of hand, you have every right as well to contact a lawyer.

BillyZ: I will. IF I know anyone uses them, I will be all out telling them my experience. Wondering what the fee of the lawyer will be if I have to go that route?

Hi all,
I am sorry for not updating this project for the past weeks.

As you all know, I am having some problems with my contractor. The frustration continue :x and until now, (2 months later) the contractor had done nothing on my basement. I am trying to get him through various way for the past months to recover some of my losses. I was able to get contact with him through some friends of his, but time after time, he never hold to his words to come and do the basement. In the meantime, I am trying to get another guy to finish up the drywalling, electrical. But most of time trying to charge me a high price knowing that I am desperate to get it done. I manage to have a church friend to finish the plumbing for a good labor cost. So the drains for the toilet and the deep sink in the fish room is done.
Part of the frustration is that we are running out of time. My wife is going to be due in Oct, and I suppose to finish my basement and the fish room setup in June!!! :cry: So that I can concentrate of the coming of the new baby. Anyway, I just hope my pain will be over.
It such a pain each time to walk past my 180g Tank in the Garage.

Hello, I am about to start building a new home that will have a fish room with a 75 or 90 gallon tank built in the wall. I am unsure how the tank and the front face of the wall should meet up. I would prefer to have the tank and wall flush with each other. Can this be done? Any and all information or pictures dealing with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

This is the look I am going for.

GregK_full_tank_in_wall.jpg

Thanks

HW9: Since you doing a new house. Why just 75 or 90 gallons? Is there a restriction somewhere? For In-wall tank, if you can, go bigger so that you will not regret it later. Back to your question. I am doing like what you showed on the picture. The wall for mine is cutout slightly bigger than the tank so you can actually insert your tank through the front. After it is all done, your moldings will cover the gap between the wall and the tank and the tank will kind of touch your molding. Like a picture frame.

Thanks for the reply. There is no size restriction other than the cost. I still am wondering how to support the front edge of the tank and have it flush with th wall at the same time. I will think about the larger tank =)

hotwater9 said:
Thanks for the reply. There is no size restriction other than the cost. I still am wondering how to support the front edge of the tank and have it flush with th wall at the same time. I will think about the larger tank =)

Make the front frame of the stand the wall. Run it flush with the wall and sheetrock it.

Sorry for the long wait in updating. Things had been going crazy at home and work and this project. But finally, the bad boy is near completion as of yesterday. The culture stone in front took longer than I expected. I finish painting the endcap yesterday afternoon.

More pictures to follow inside the fish room.

For those who had been following this thread, thanks for your patience. Moving the tank into the room is more difficult than I thought. At first, just thinking of moving the beast myself and a neighbor. But it turn out that I have to bring in 2 more neighbor, so total of 4 to place the tank onto the stand. Down the stair into the basement is the hardest.

I am very please with the sump that sumphead made. It excellent in workmanship. I will take a pics as well.

More pics......

I couldn't find the pic that showed the whole living room and the In wall tank. Will take the pics tonight to show how it blends in with the living room. I am pretty happy the way the whole project turn out. I am still mad at the bad contractor. I file a complaint against him at BBB, but could not recover any money from him. :x Don't think BBB can do anything about it.

The carpet should be in this weekend.

I am sooooooo jealous!! :mrgreen:

Man that is so beautiful!! I can't wait to start my in wall project in January....hopefully! :?

revhtree: Thanks. Do you have a draft plan yet?

GrndHog: Thanks.

Attached more pics inside the fish room. The next step is to place the sump in place and start to do the plumbing. I need to shop for an external pump and a skimmer now. thinking of Mak5 and MR-2 or MR-3 and probably add a closed loop over the top.

Bok, I am glad to see you like the sump. If you are happy, then I am happy. I have lost my e-mail account, I will PM you with another address. LOOKS GREAT!!

R-

Back
Top Bottom