Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whats the latest?

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yaksplat: Is there a equation that translate the Inertia to how much weight it will withstand?

GrndHog: Not much over the weekend. My wife wanted me to setup the swingset for my 3 yrs old boy and also stain the deck. So, was planning to do that but then its rains and so everything is screw up. However, I do received the base rock I ordered from premiumaquatics. It is called the "Carribean Reef Bones". I am also thinking of all the different ways to reinforce the tank stand and may tried it today.

Also, from the start, I am thinking of the implementation of the closed loop. I do not want to drilled my tank, so I am thinking of going over the top. Anyone has a good way of doing closed loop?

Old 06-14-2004, 08:59 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Hey Boxter, I've been outta the loop for a few days. Expect an e-mail tonight or tomorrow on sump information. I think we may be able to solve your "closed loop" concerns with the sump return. Possibly a second pump on a return manifold with or without a SCWD. This of course depends on heat and return capacity issues unforseen.

R-
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
The best way is to look at all of the possible points of failure:

1. buckling of the legs in three ways:
a. crushing
b. bending in the x direction
c. bending in the y direct ion
2. Bending of the cross beam to the poin of breaking

From experience you can rule out number one after seeing your construction method. Therefor number two is the key factor. (If this were a critical calculation, all posibilities would be calculated to rule them out)

http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_be...flection_1.htm

You can use this calculator to determine the deflection. But remember, if you are calculating the deflection on a 2x4 you can only count the weight that is on that specific 2x4. In order to do this, calculate the contact area between your tank and the stand. From this calculate the pressure exerted on the stand xxx lbs per square inch.

From this then use the worst case scenario, which is an unsupported 2x4 with the 4" side against the tank. Thus the contact area is 3.5" x the tank length.

Use these values in the calculator:
E=1700000
I=.984
W=tank weight/7 (# of 2x4's) (i'll use 1540# for the whole thing)
X=length of tank/2 (the worst bending will be in the middle)
l= length of the tank
z=.75 (half of the thickness of a 2x4)

based on this, the beam will bend 5/8" at the middle.....too much

you want no bending. So we try 2x4's on the short side

I = 5.35
w=96
z=1.75

And then you maximum deflection is .05" Very acceptable...

This is also using the modulus of elasticity for a lower grade of lumber than what you'll find. Also, this model assumes that you only have the tank supported at the four corners.

I increased the load to 5000#, and the maximum bending only increased to .15". Still acceptable.

Let me know if you want more info.

Jim
Old 06-15-2004, 12:29 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey yaksplat! NICE!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Thats the stuff Yak :thumb:

Now, here's my question. Where does one find the E of other materials? Such as different types of wood etc.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

yaksplat: Nice work....Where is the emoticons with the big thumb up? Couldn't find it to attach here. But kudos to you.

As I said earlier that I received the base rocks over the weekend. I just ordered 40ibls box to just see how these so called "Reef bones" look like. So I am attaching the pics here. I am not too impressed by the shape. Had done a few mobs-aquacaping using these base rock. So far, not getting the way I want it. Looking around for more LR. Budget is tight
Old 06-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also pic of my overflow kits rom AGA. You can see it is pretty much a copy of the Durso's pipe.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
E is the Modulus of Elasticity. In english units it's measured in psi. If you search in google you can find pretty much any substance. Just search for :

"modulus of elasticity" <material>

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ticity%22+wood

This could give you the results you're looking for.

Jim
Old 06-16-2004, 01:27 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Hey Boxter, tey looking at hirocks. (www.hirocks.com) Their rock isa lot more "holey" so to speak. The reefbones to me seem dense, pourus yet dense non-the-less. Kindof like a hard sponge if that makes sense.

I hear you on the budget crunch.

R-

Tags
construction, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com