180G predilled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oval291

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question are there any special considerations I need to take into account to have a custom-made predrilled tank with built-in overflows i.e size and location of the outlet and inlet holes. Plan to use a sump with this set-up.

Regards,

Well, with a 180g I would consider where in your house you are going to put it and make sure the floor can hold all that weight.

Typically the outlets and inlets are going to be drilled in approximately the same location. With a 180 I would have at least two of each on each side (or approximate, doesn't have to be in the corners, they can be set in from each side wall).

What kind of fish?
Are you going to have big overflow boxes or just bulkheads and minimal piping inside the tank (just an elbow for a drain, nozzle outputs)?

What kind of fish?
Are you going to have big overflow boxes or just bulkheads and minimal piping inside the tank (just an elbow for a drain, nozzle outputs)?

Will be a freshwater tank for now. Can I ask what is the advantage of the big overflow boxes?

I wouldn't do them, they take up room and are hard to manage (clean inside them, get things out of them like fish that got too close to the overflow, etc.). A little PVC elbow painted black to match the background would be better.

What kind of fish?

If you are doing big cichlids (12"+) then definitely don't get overflow boxes. Either way they are more complicated to build (or more expensive to have done to the tank) and are just a pain to deal with in the tank. Go with bulkheads with just a street elbow (curved 90 degree PVC elbow instead of a cornered 90 degree) for your drains. This will look better, take up less space, and be easier to deal with.

What size sump?
What filtration?

I have not decided as this will be my first sump and currently researching and trying to get the best advice. Thinking of using between a 40 to 75 gallon sump or more if necessary. If you have any designs that you can share that would be super.

Thanks for your assistance and patience so far. Much appreciated.

Regards,

I would go with a smaller sump and use canister that has a backwash option like a ocean clear or small pond filter. They are easier to clean and do water changes with.

I would go with a smaller sump and use canister that has a backwash option like a ocean clear or small pond filter. They are easier to clean and do water changes with.

Ok will consider that. Do you have any designs, schematics, pictures of this set-up I can look at?

Pump would be inside the sump or plumbed through a bulkhead. The pump would push water through the filter and then return to the tank.

Thanks. How many baffles (sections) would I need at a minimum in this sump.

I say 75g to 90g as south american cichlids always produce a heavy bio-load,

Baffle wise I really don't know how to make a freshwater sump, I've done plenty of DIY saltwater sump/refugium ...but you should go with at least 3 sections from there I can't really help much lol :)

If you go with the smaller sump and external pond filter you don't necessarily need baffles. I would not rely on the sump for any actual filtration in the sump. Use it for heaters and other equipment. If you use a good pond filter it will provide much better filtration anyways.

Back
Top Bottom