Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

180g terriarium tank help!!!!

Hello all I just purchaced a 180g tank and am currently housing my 75g brackish fish in it (hand sized red scat, archerfish x2, seabe mono x2, fw eel, spotted puffer, figure 8 puff, and a datnoid) I got the tank half full atm and I'm really liking how it looks. Ok so for the real question lol. What can I use or diy to filter a half full tank this size?? I would really like to do a 55g sump to house all my hob filters but how would I get the water to and from the sump in this situation. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can purchase a HOB overflow box that will do the job, or better yet, stop filling the tank and have it drilled for a 1/5" bulkhead.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
you can purchase a HOB overflow box that will do the job, or better yet, stop filling the tank and have it drilled for a 1/5" bulkhead.
Since are wanting a sump and are only gonna have the tank half filled i would suggest drilling it to. BTW a datnoid is not a brackish fish.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you calling it a terrarium because you're only filling it halfway? Tanks sold as terrariums often have a label saying "DO NOT FILL WITH WATER" because the glass is too thin to support the pressure of the water. Just some FYI before a broken tank causes a flood.

+1 of having the tank drilled. Make sure the bottom isn't tempered first. You can either build an overflow out of glass/acrylic or attempt to use a standpipe alone to manage the water level.

Put some big branches in the tank so that they stick up out of the water. Buy some crickets, put them on the branches, and hopefully your archers will go to work.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #5

As far as the datnoid, all the research I've done on this fish says they live in the wild in fresh to brackish water so how are they not brackish fish??? Many brackish fish sold in pet stores are brackish or do better in mild brackish. As for the tank the glass is 1/2 inch thick it's an aquarium tank I jus wanna do terrarium for the purpose to watch the archers do their thing and to get some mudskippers and maybe some fiddlers for the puffer to munch on now and again. I regrefully had to fill tank full due to funding atm. I'll check to see if it's tempered but not sure(tank is a used tank). But yea I was thinking bout doing 4 40g intank filters an just hide tem with rock piles to make some waterfalls. And one more question. Do u think one canister filter pulling from tank to sump and another of equal power from sump to tank would work or would the low water level cause a problem
Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
Since are wanting a sump and are only gonna have the tank half filled i would suggest drilling it to. BTW a datnoid is not a brackish fish.
This has me a little concerned about the dat. For one the lfs sold in brackish water tank and every site I've been to says they live in fw to brack in the wild? Where did u find your info? I'll post a link when I find it with this info
Old 05-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackman View Post
This has me a little concerned about the dat. For one the lfs sold in brackish water tank and every site I've been to says they live in fw to brack in the wild? Where did u find your info? I'll post a link when I find it with this info
#1 you listened to the fish store. 95% of the time they are wrong, make them prove to you there info is reliable. And just because they might cross it in the wild does not mean they live in it. They live there life in freshwater.

Only two dats are documented to live in brackish water, the silver and new guinea dats. But both are capable of living in freshwater. The only requirement is your water has to be high in pH and very alkaline (hard). Otherwise, it will become very susceptible to disease and infection and probably will never thrive in your tank. And many people keep them in fresh and they do fine as they live in both in the wild. So what species do you have? If you have a pic i can determine it.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
As for the tank the glass is 1/2 inch thick it's an aquarium tank
Good to hear. Many people don't understand the strength needed to contain large amounts of water.

Quote:
I jus wanna do terrarium for the purpose to watch the archers do their thing and to get some mudskippers and maybe some fiddlers for the puffer to munch on now and again.
I like the idea. If I had a really tall tank, I'd be all over that.

Quote:
I was thinking bout doing 4 40g intank filters an just hide tem with rock piles to make some waterfalls.
If this is in addition to a sump, go for it. Otherwise, you'll be drastically underfiltered. Personally, I'd use powerheads.

Quote:
Do u think one canister filter pulling from tank to sump and another of equal power from sump to tank would work or would the low water level cause a problem
Generally pumping down from the tank is a bad idea. If your return pump fails, you'll be draining your tank and flooding your home. Conversely, if the drain pump fails, you'll overflow your tank and flood your home. Have you looked into DIY overflows? I've seen some PVC designs that could be adapted to a half full tank. They might be a little tricky to get started, but you could make it work.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #9

Not sure the gph on the 40g in tanks but they say up to 40g. With my tank half full I'm thinking around 80-90g. So u think that 4 filter rated for a 40g wouldn't be enough?? I may swap some fish out to lightn the load a little. I'm just trying to get it started as quickly and cheaply as possibe with keeping the health of my fish in mind!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure I like the idea of trying to filter a tank that large with internal filters. Besides, you'd have to redo your rock piles every few weeks to clean out the filters.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com