2 closed loop pumps 1 sump pump- how many gph each in a 125?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been doing A LOT of research and talking with members of the site about the best way to get good circulation in my tank, which by the way is a dual overflow 125g allglass that is going to be a reef tank. I want to steer clear of submersible pumps because of the heat they put out. I am planning on running a relatively low flow through the sump- maybe 200-300 gph. To obtain the bulk of my flow I want to use a couple of closed loop systems.

First off, keeping in mind what my sump pump will be pushing how many gph should I try to get out of each of the external pumps once the water has reached the tank (about 4.5-5' of head)?

I was thinking about going with 2 of the Blueline pumps any thoughts on this?

Lastly, 2 closed loops would be better than one right? I figure I can disperse the flow better between 2 pumps than trying to get it all out of one giant pump.

As always, thanks for the invaluable advice everyone!!! :D

Keep in mind with a closed loop you do not have head pressure issues except for bends etc. It is not like a sump....pushing water up from below. I do not see any benefit from running two closed loops except for redundancy. You can always control flow with a ball valve. I made a DIY header with 7 outputs and ran those with flex PVC to my locline fittings. I can put flow any where I want in the tank in seconds. I am not familiar with blueline pumps. I like my dolphin pump though.

Brendan, whats up!? If i don't have any head pressure issues and i take a pump rated at say 1800gph and distribute it out over 4 outputs would that be 450gph coming from each one? i guess i'd have to take into account i'd probably have 2 90 degree bends. Other than that would it just be the total gph divided out over the number of outputs?

I guess i was just planning on doing two pumps because i figured two 900gph pumps would be quieter than one 1800gph one. However, it seems as though the blueline pumps are pretty quiet as it is.

i take a pump rated at say 1800gph and distribute it out over 4 outputs would that be 450gph coming from each one
Pretty much you will have a slight head pressure drop but not much. If you can use 2 -45 bends instead of a 90 it helps too. Pump noise has more to do with load than pump size. My 8000 GPH pump on my closed loop is quieter than the 1500 GPH under heavy load on my skimmer.

the preasure wouldnt be from "head preasure' as Brenden explained, it would be from the plumbing..
One big pump would be just as effecent as multiple smaller pumps as far as a closed loop is concerned.. It would just be more plumbing connected to a single pump..

Blueline aka Panworld pumps are very good pumps from what I have read. Another good one is the Reeflow Dart. Big flow and supposedly whisper quiet.

I agree that 1 loop should work as well as 2 and be simpler.

On 125g, how many outputs should i strive for? Say i go for 8, would an 1800gph have enough power to get a good flow coming out and what size piping would i want it to come out of- should i use those ball socket joints to get the flow to be stronger where it comes in at?
Lastly, I'm contemplating getting my tank drilled for the closed loop system, would you guys recommend this so i can get returns at all depths of the tank without having to clutter it with powerheads and pipes.

If Im not mistaking.. 1800 gph is just over 3/4 inch pipes ability to carry water (from memory) you might need to go with 1"..

Back
Top Bottom