2 Leds- which one to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just sold off my 2 120w led panels this morning so I am planning on getting a replacement tomorrow. :-D

I am deciding between the following two

Amazon.com: TaoTronics Hot!/Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W-provide light that have the same effect as natural sunlight and hence offers plants a very good growing habitat: Sunvalleytek

AND

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

This light will be for a 24" X 24" X 24" inch cube tank. Which one will give me the best spread and penetration? I would like to be able to keep most any coral but am not sure if the 240 watt one is overkill.

Please help. :-D

Thanks everyone, looking forward to some input so I can order one.

The 1st one is probably fine. If you did go with the 2nd one, you could always raise the fixture higher over the tank if it started to fry your corals.

Carey, I agree with Larry, I think the first would be OK. I switched over to maxspect LEDs a little while ago and love them. I would note that the ability to dim the lights I have are one of the things that I like best and neither of these provide that option. I love the ripple effect provided by the LEDs. Good luck.

Bud

K, I think I'll get that fixture then tomorrow. :-D I wish i could afford adjustable ones but not in the budget. :-(

Did you get the TaoTronics? Saw your other thread about the two 1W LED units you sold off, I'm interested in how the TaoTronics compares. Have a 36G bow that could be covered by one unit. Just wish it had a 2 blue LED moonlight feature, but I've already done some DIY for that. I could just stick it on the frame of this one I suppose.
Anywhoo, would love to hear what you've learned!

- D

Well they are pretty awesome! It's a tiny bit loud with the fans running but other than that its good. When I brought it in to where my 60g is we mounted it over the tank and it seemed to give perfect coverage, a 24 X 24 square was perfect for my new tank. It also looks like it will punch through the 24 inches of depth of the water. :) I have it over my 20g rimless right now, I love how it looks, LOL, I even had to move all the corals out cause its that bright. For sure a setp up from the 1watt fixture. Here are some ghetto pictures I took of it over the 20g

img_1780090_0_007a8d935b963e1a83d44f2211c5a5e3.jpg

img_1780090_1_a41dfd9ef5a93d24f5347cb21b723461.jpg

Great, thanks! Fan noise could be a concern but I know some computer case mod tricks that can help with that.
But you think it's too bright for some corals? Our tank is only about 17" to the sand bed. We're not too heavily into corals yet but I sense they are in our future and want to leave the option open.

Pic attached of where we are now with a 55W 50/50 CF upgrade kit from A H Supply.

- D

Attachments

• DSC00587.jpg
    DSC00587.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 73
That light looks nice on your tank. :)

The Leds' with blue only will blow your socks off, I mean its beyond awesome looking. LOL I'm not too sure on how deep these lights penetrate but it looked like it was pretty decent on the bottom of the tank.

What I'll do is try to get my b/f to help me get the lights off my 125g and I will hang it over that and see how much punch it has to the bottom. :) I'll try to get him to do it tonight, so pm me or post here to remind me if I dont get it done. LOL

It's a good kit they offer, to upgrade your 'tank kit' hood. Good ballast, shiny polished metal reflector and quality bulb. Fun DIY. But already we're thinking of MORE light of course.

- D

That light looks nice on your tank. :)

The Leds' with blue only will blow your socks off, I mean its beyond awesome looking. LOL I'm not too sure on how deep these lights penetrate but it looked like it was pretty decent on the bottom of the tank.

What I'll do is try to get my b/f to help me get the lights off my 125g and I will hang it over that and see how much punch it has to the bottom. :) I'll try to get him to do it tonight, so pm me or post here to remind me if I dont get it done. LOL
The blue LED only does make the corals pop, but it was too blue for my taste. I originally had the blues come on first and a little later the whites. I put my 72" VHO UVL Super actinics back online and now they come on 1st and then the LED's with both colors at the same time. On my 125 I have the VHO's come on 1st, a 1/2 hr later the left side LED comes on, a 1/2 hr later the center LED and 1/2 hr after that the right 1 comes on. It sort of give a sun rise affect. I have them go off in the opposite order for the sunset affect. Right off, center off, left off then actinics off.

They punch thru to the bottom of my 125 pretty good. I'm getting 160 PAR on the sandbed.
LED-l-r_11-25-11.jpg

Looks cool carey! I forgot when you got your Neon Gobies, lol. was it after Christmas? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom