2 - penguin 330 for a 55 gallon tank? is this enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I upgrading from a 29 to 55 gallon tank i have one penguin 330 on the 29 .

I really like the penguin because its very quite and the filters are easy to find and cheaper then the emperor and the emperor is so loud.

My Questions
1. Will 2 penguin 330 be enough for a 55 gallon tank
2. Will 2 100 watt heater ego jager be enough or 2 much

You've got that right: the Emperors are not quiet. I use two 400s on my 55, which seems to do the trick. I should think a couple of Penguins would work. With regard to heaters, I think two 100s is cutting it a little fine. Jeff

I forgot to saw what was going to be in the tank.

Its for a community tank. Guppies and platties.

the 29 is getting over croweded. so i want to upgrade to a 55 and let them have more room maybe add some light and grow a few plants.

One 330 should be plenty for your tank. I have run 1 on several of my 50 gal tanks and they stay super. The 330 will give you 6 exchanges an hour . I run 2 330s on my 125. As for heaters I would go with 2 150s or a 100 and a 200. That way if one quits, your tank will not go completely cold.

I second what BASSNMAN just said. One Penguin 330 should be enough although you can add a second one later if you wish. If you were going to populate your tank with messier fish like large cichlids or goldfish then the second filter would be definitely recommended. If you add live plants that will be even better.

Also, when you do add plants then you will want to eliminate, or greatly reduce, the use of carbon in your filters so that you don't filter out any nutrients in the water.

As far as heaters go, a good rule of thumb is to provide 5 watts per gallon. So for 55 gallons you should have at least 275 watts. This is best distributed between two heaters so that in case one fails you still have one that works. You should put them on opposite ends of the aquarium for more even heat distribution.

BASSNMAN said:
One 330 should be plenty for your tank. I have run 1 on several of my 50 gal tanks and they stay super. The 330 will give you 6 exchanges an hour . I run 2 330s on my 125. As for heaters I would go with 2 150s or a 100 and a 200. That way if one quits, your tank will not go completely cold.

Ok thanks for the great info i will have to get a 200 watt heater to add to the 100 watt i have. I just bought another 100 but i can use it on another tank.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom