2 sumps? 2 overflows? 2 pumps? How can it be done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently running a Wet/Dry Sump. I have another sump that I want to use as a refugium.

My question is how do you run these things together? If I had 2 sumps, 2 overflows, 2 pumps how can I ensure that each sump gets the same amount of water as its pump outputs? It seems to me it would be very difficult to balance the proper amount going to each and 1 sump would eventually overflow and/or the other sump would eventually emtpy out.

How can it be done? It there an alternate solution?

Please help me with this dilema.....

you can put a ball valve and a tee in line on both pumps. you can then direct some of the water via the ball valve and tee back into the sump or fuge to control the correct amount of flow to the tank ( so the overflow can keep up ). it is important to dump the extra water back into the sump. if you just put a ball valve to restrict the output flow of the pump it will decrease the life of your pump though the extra pressure

steve r

I would suggest something like the following:

Connect the sumps together with, say, a 2" or 3" pipe.
Have one overflow to each sump.
Have one pump returning the water to the tank.

This way, the sumps will automatically balance themselves without running full/dry.

I am using my own setup as an example:

Two Tidepool-2 wet/dry filters, each having an overflow connected to it.
The Tidepools are connected to a Rubbermaid container, with 2" pipes, where my return pump and skimmer sit.
Two returns fed by one pump (Mag 24) with a Tee feeding the returns.

Lots of space for additional water volume should I need to, and no worries for flood in case of power failure.

HTH

8)

*Edit*

I have attached two diagrams of possible options for you. :D

Attachments

• option-2.jpg
    option-2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 266
  • option-1.jpg
    option-1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 226
Thanks steve r and Serge, these ideas are great...thanks alot for taking the time to respond.

I think I may go with the pipe between the sumps with the pipe kind of slanted so the pipe opening in the refugium is higher than the pipe opening to the return sump that way the refugium water level can be a higher level and kind of overflow into the main sump.

Does that make sense and is it doable?

Yes, it should work, but you have to consider the volume of water that will be flowing in your refugium. Here is a small schematic to represent your idea.

Cheers!

8)

Attachments

• option-3.jpg
    option-3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 195
Serge said:
Yes, it should work, but you have to consider the volume of water that will be flowing in your refugium. Here is a small schematic to represent your idea.

Cheers!

8)

My tank is drilled so I was thinking either...

A.) Split, or T-off from the tube coming from the overlflow with an in-line Ball Valve to the Fuge

B.) Put a small overflow box into the overflow area of the tank slightly below the water level. The water level in the overflow area is pretty stable. As matter of fact that is where I keep the heater.

With A.) I would probably be able to better control the flow, have a more stable flow, and not have to mess with a separate overflow box.

Thanks again for the help, especially the diagrams!

Hey Branew,

No sweat for the diagrams. Here is another one which relate to your last post. If you could locate your refugium higher than the sump, you could have the 2 overflows going into the sump, and feed your refugium from the pump return, by way of a Tee and a ball valve. My understanding is that the refugium should be fed by a slow but regular volume of water. which drains back to the sump. As you can see in the attached diagram, the concept is clearly shown. Well, at least, it is clear to me. 8O :wink:

Enjoy!

8)

Attachments

• refugium-option.jpg
    refugium-option.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 184
Serge said:
Hey Branew,

No sweat for the diagrams. Here is another one which relate to your last post. If you could locate your refugium higher than the sump, you could have the 2 overflows going into the sump, and feed your refugium from the pump return, by way of a Tee and a ball valve. My understanding is that the refugium should be fed by a slow but regular volume of water. which drains back to the sump. As you can see in the attached diagram, the concept is clearly shown. Well, at least, it is clear to me. 8O :wink:

Enjoy!

8)
I could definately raise the fuge up to do this. This is a great idea seeing that I would only need to drill a hole in the fuge for the pipe and simply let it run into the main sump. This also helps with an issue I have in my main sump. There is some "yucky" or stagnate water that sits on top of the area where the pump sits. Running water into it will create circulation to keep the water moving.

In this diagram couldnt I only use 1 overflow into the Main Sump? LiekI said my tank is drilled and I wuold like to avoid having external overflow box at all if I can.

BTW, These are the refugiums I am looking at...

Any opinions out there?

83_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-L-ECO-Refugium_W0QQitemZ4362402015QQcategoryZ3212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

04_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-L-PRO-refugi...oryZ3212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Umm... Well, yes, you can use only one overflow if you want to. I was under the impression that you already had 2 overflows. :wink: As for the yucly stuff in your sump, this is probably due to insufficient turbulence in there. What kind of water flow rate do you presently have? Your profile indicates a 90 gallons tank and a Mag pump, so my questions is which of the mag pumps do you have? Depending on what you read, you should have anywhere between 600 and 900 GPH mouvement in there.

I see you already have a skimmer, so I would suggest you pick the first sump/refugium shown above, and replace the bio balls with live rock rubbles. But the second one could also be used. There is no such thing as too much skimming, IMO. :wink: Beside, both of these already have a hole with a bulkead, so less work for you. :D

Anyways, these are just my opinions/comments. The final decision is yours.

Cheers!

8)

Question, the Ebay auction states that assembly is required if you were not aware of it. I'm not sure if that means the baffles are not installed or you are only going to get a box of pre-cut acrylic pieces and be on your own with the instructions.

HoopsGuru said:
Question, the Ebay auction states that assembly is required if you were not aware of it. I'm not sure if that means the baffles are not installed or you are only going to get a box of pre-cut acrylic pieces and be on your own with the instructions.
it says "no tools required" and "place the baffles and top pieces anywhere you want them" so I assume it is just arranging the baffles and such.

It is a good question for the seller, thanks for pointing it out!

Back
Top Bottom