Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

custom make a center brace.. my 55g brace broke, i custom bent a [iece of metal to hold the tank square... been working fine for months now.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok, thanks everyone for the input, so a cross.brace should definently be there? from what i can recall it didnt appear that there ever was one or if there was then someone did a very good job of removing it. as i said nefore the glass on this tank does seem very thick but ill double check it if i get the call to pick it up. thanks smitty for the wood idea for checking for bowing ill definently give that a try. but as for leaks just because of age and the fact that its been sitting for so long none of you seem to concerned about that, i mean i will obviously be filling it to check it out before i set it up in my house, but i was just trying to get a little feed back about what to expect.

thx
bigger'better

Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If the glass is not very thick at all, it could be a terrarium? They use pretty thin glass and are not water tight.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

mfdrookie, the glass seems to be very thick actually at least gwice as thick as my 40g, i mentioned this because i was wondering if it could have anything to do with it not having a cross brace, i do know it was used as an aquarium, but it has been sitting for quite sometime , but i have no way to find out if there orginally was a cross brace or if the glass is thick enough to not need one.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

oh ok.. gotcha.

Like I said way back, I'm pretty sure I've heard that alot of the older tanks did not have the braces on them. I cant seem to find that anywhere though, so I could be mistaken.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is true. We have a 1984 Perfecto 75 gallon that has no center brace, and you can tell that it never had one. The glass is thicker on the old tanks than what the manufacturers use now.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it is up to you if you want a center brace. If it has really thick glass than it may not be needed, but I would still want one. On the larger (120+ tanks) they actually have more than one sometimes. Again, check to see if there is any bowing. In the end, it is your house that would get flooded, not ours if there is a problem

You are right about any leaks, we really haven't covered that. I would recommend you get a sharp new razor and cut out the old silicone and put new stuff on all the corners (just cut the exposed part, not inbetween the panes of glass). I've never done it before so really don't have any advice but many have done this. You MUST use aquarium safe silicone and I can't recall what the brand and name is... something like GE III or close - please check. You may also want to check the DIY forum because I know some people have done this.

Put in the new and let it sit for a couple days then fill it with water. I would do this before even testing for leaks because you will want it done regardless of whether it leaks or not because the tank is 20 years old afterall...
Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, once again I just want to say thanks for all the great input, I think I just might look into some crossbraces, just because of how old the tank is and I don't want to blow any of the seals from bowing.

It's still good to know that it was built this way and wasn't modified. I'll also be looking into resealing the corners.

Now I just have to hurry up and wait for the call to go pick it up.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

he said it was very thick glass. I think someone on here cut a piece of acrylic and attached it with nylon bolts. That is what I'd do.

the plastic is probably brittle as all get out too.

that free tank will get very expensive if it breaks or leaks when it is full. I would clean the heck out of it and cover every seam with new silicon, right over the old. 20 years is OLD for a tank. How is the glass? is it very clear or is it colored at all?

Honestly unless it was in great condition you can find 120's very cheap. the 5' length will be an issue for stands and lights. I would fill it up in the back yard to test it and then use it for FW in a place that can handle a leak or on a tray with a drain.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh is it a metal frame tank?......

my 120 has no center brass.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com