20G set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako_

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I just recieved a used 20 gallon tank from my cousin. I was wondering how I should set it up. I am thinking to start off with two gold fish. The bad part is that I don't have a lid for it. Would I need one if the fish don't jump? It also has a heater attached to the bottom and she gave me a test kit to go with it. I know I need a filter...What else would I need for this tank? I also need to know if I would need to cycle if it is used. It would still have bacterias in it, right? And is there a certain way I need to clean the tank?

You would still need to cycle it if there is currently no fish or water in it. For just a basic set-up with fish only you could get by with just what you have and a filter.

What are the readings for Nitrate and Nitrite suppose to be around?

What are the readings for Nitrate and Nitrite suppose to be around?
Nitrite readings should always be 0ppm unless the tank is cycling. Nitrate readings can vary, anywhere between 0ppm (usually only in a planted tank, but certainly possible otherwise with good maintenance) up to 40-60ppm ("safe" level really depends on who you ask, though above 20 usually means you need to do something different)... and of course ammonia should be 0ppm as well unless cycling :)

You'll probably see them from the google search HN1 posted, but if you dont, there are a couple articles in my signature detailing cycling and an overview of the nitrogen cycle ;)

The cycling link HN1 sent me said that Nitrate should be at 7 or lower for fish to be safe. Is that usually what most people's tanks are at?

IMO.... in a FW tank, NO3 < 40 is "safe", < 20 much better, 0 is optimal but depends a lot on plant growth and stocking.

I think you should re-think the gold fish idea as they will quickly outgrow a 20 gal tank and the smaller the tank the dirtier it will be.

What type of fish would you suggest for a 20 gallon?

It really depends on you and what you want your tank to look like. You can go all community fish like tetras, Harlequin rasboras, smaller tropical fish like that. You could go with Platts or Millie's for livebearers. Slightly colder water fish like minnows. You could do labyrinth fish like bettas or dwarf gouarmis. Do your hw and figure out what's available to you.

Yeah. I just need to watch out on what fish and how many I get because I am limited with a 20 Gallon tank.

Alright. Well I just set the tank up. I added in a brand new QuietFlow10 filter which is made by Aqueon. It is working well so far. I also added some ornaments to the tank. Do I keep the filter running 24/7? And when should I start checking for Ammonia?

That filter, imo, is not big enough for a 20g tank. As for the ammonia, you have to add ammonia before it will be present. Either pure ammonia, fish food, or raw shrimp will be needed for that

The filter says that the size is 10-20 gallons on the box. It was made for that tank size. I heard that adding fish flakes to the water for the cycle is not a good method because it causes excessive algea to grow and when it comes time to add fish, it can kill them off quickly. How much is a gravel vaccume reccomended?

Back
Top Bottom