20L Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently came across a 20L with everything needed to get it up & running for $10 at a garage sale. I will be transferring my 10 gallon to the 20 gallon and taking the 10 gallon down. I also have a 10 gallon divided with 2 male betta in it.

My 10 gallon community is currently planted and I would like to keep the 20 the same. The florescent fixture that came with the 20L is only rated for 15 watts. I have very little money at the moment to buy a new fixture. My question is, can anyone recommend a fixture for a 20L that will support medium-high light plants that is relatively cheap?

I have a stand for the 10 gallon and the other is on my solid wood dresser. Would I need a stand for the 20L or would it be fine on my dresser? Again I have very little money and if possible would like a stand that would support the 20L and the 10gallon.

The aquarium came with 2 filters, both tetra whispers, neither came with the cover. Would the filters be fine without the cover or could I cover them with with plastic wrap or something. And would a whisper 10 & 20 be sufficent filtration for the 20L?

the filters would be fine without a cover.
you could look on craigslist or on the forums for used fixtures to fit that tank. it's easy and affordable to find something that will work. you could light a 12" deep tank with just about anything. as a matter of fact, if you kept the plants in the area just under the lamps, your fixture would work fine.
it's all about distance from the bulb, and the amount of lumens/lux, and PAR. not the gallons v.s. watts.

I have an AC50 on my 20L that I run without a cover. I picked it up secondhand and the cover was missing. It causes a bit more evaporation to happen, and I suppose it makes it easier for something to fall in the tank, but I'm not worried about it.

I have two 18W CFLs over my 20L and my wife and I refer to it as "The Jungle". I have to trim the water sprite every two weeks or it takes over. I practically cleared out the tank a few weeks ago and it's getting overgrown again.

In my 10 gallon I have two 15w cfl running and they maintain the plants that i have in there really well. The light strip that came with the 20L is a florescent 15w.

Back
Top Bottom