215g In wall, need input please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IworkatPSP

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya, I currently have a 30g reef, but come springtime when we add on to our house my parents and I decided to build a 215g into our existing closet.

The closet opening is 60" long, but on the inside it is 84" so we plan the cut the drywall to allow for the 72"long tank. The closet is 30" deep, so there will be about 6" behind the tank. The tank we have picked out is the Oceanic reef ready 215g. (72"x24"x29")

We will be building a custom stand and canopy. Also, the overflows will run directly to the basement where I will be having my fish room. In the fishroom I plan on running a water line and connecting an RO/DI unit and a sink. The fish room will also house all my electrical equipment plus my sump/fuge.

I plan on making this a reef, so I am looking into halides.

Now for the questions:

What size sump should I have?
What size fuge?
Could I run vents from my hood down through the basement to the outside to help cool it?
Could I buy base rock now and cure it in tubs so it will be ready when the tank is put in?
What else should I look into for this kind of set up?
To accent the halides should I use PC or VHO actinics?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

List looks good but the 6” of clearance in the back is going to be problematic with access to your tank for maintenance. I’d cut an access panel above the tank also to get to the lights & tank.

For pumps the Iwaki MD-100RLT, Dolphin Amp Master 4700 or the Mag Drive 24. All will give you 1000+gph with a 10’ head pressure. The Mag will probably add heat by a couple of degrees so I would consider that last since you are going to be using MH. Also you will probably need to supplement water movement with a closed loop system or additional ph. For ph I’d go with a couple of Tunze Turbelle or Seio Super Flow pumps

For sump size, ideally you would want a 150+ gal sump and since it’s in your basement I would go as large as possible.

Venting either outside or to the basement is a must due to the small room. Yes you will want to use PC or VHO actinics depending on the kelvin of the MH. See this color comparison of MH lights for a reference.

Back
Top Bottom