Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict

A slow shimmer is nice. If I drop my water level much, my AC30 makes enough surface agitation that I have a hard time focusing on the fish in the tank. I suppose it doesn't help that the fish are guppies with tails that shimmer between red and blue.

I'd love to go to Hawaii. My wife and I talked about it for our honeymoon, but my bank account couldn't handle it.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the shimmer and its really more natural to have a little shimmer action.

Im way late but what filters and what heaters did you go with?
I am assuming this tank was not a drilled tank?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
I like the shimmer and its really more natural to have a little shimmer action.

Im way late but what filters and what heaters did you go with?
I am assuming this tank was not a drilled tank?
I have 2 Fluval FX5's.
And the heater is JBJ True Temp 800Watt Digital Controller.

No this tank is not drilled.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

same heaters we got, we run 4 300w jbj true temps on the 210 and the 800w model on our 100g holding tank.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
same heaters we got, we run 4 300w jbj true temps on the 210 and the 800w model on our 100g holding tank.
The only problem I have with it is the magnets are not strong enough. The heater wants to slide down the glass. I'm thinking of using silicone to secure them to the wall of the tank. The glass is a 1/2 thick.

How are they performing for you.

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ours are in the bottom of the wet/dry filter so they are doing great, got em on a digital aquatics SL1 controller and it works flawlessly.

I know the magnet holders are per glass thickness, I got some that are for the 1/2" thick glass but never used em. I just picked a 50g tank up, its got 1/2" glass on it too(stuck me as weird a bit and only has 1 1" hole in the bottom and trim that wraps 2" of the glass.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Guy's,

I pick up some egg crate for the bottom of the tank. Then I took some rocks that I found in some river beds here in Missouri. Lots of them have natural crystals formations on them. Really awesome looking.

I laid out the decor on the egg crate, on the kitchen table.
I than put the under gravel LED's in place. I'm concerned that the highest piece is about 13" Tall. The tank is 28" tall. There is allot of space above every thing. I think I may need to find some taller fixtures. Or do you think i should build the rock structures higher?

What do you think.

I'm also trying to find something to rap around the water intake tubes, like some kind of fake plant.

Tuesday I will have the black sand. And then I can start placing thing into the tank. And getting it ready for water.

It looks much better in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00545.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	29617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00548.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	29618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00557.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	29619   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00551.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	29620  

Old 02-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #158
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Here's my opinion. Do with it as you please.

The fake plants, you'll most likely get tired of them. I thought they looked cool when I first set my tank up, but I realized that not only were they a pain to clean around when I did my monthly tear down (and you'll have to do the same), but they also looked too fake after a while. Diatoms claimed them, along with the fact that the fish tore them apart.

You think the eggcrate sounds like a good idea now. Wait until you start gravel vacing. They'll annoy you, trap waste, and ultimately keep the fish from digging around as much. Mine are constantly against the glass, and they are happy with it that way..

I think you're doing an amazing job though. Keep up the hard work. It'll all pay off in the end.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #159
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it looks very nice... But just one question, what are the egg crates for? I'm sorry if Ive missed that somewhere in this thread, but yeah just curious as to their purpose. As for my opinion on the fake plants, you'll only be able to tell if they look toofake once they're in the tank with water.

Also, as for taller decor, that would be a very good idea. It will look much nicer with some tall additions for the back/sides.

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

Egg crate distributes the weight load of the rock. As you can see it lays on the bottom of the tank. I already have it cut to fit. Also is protection for falling rock, as it will take the first hit when a rock may fall. I'll have to look for maybe some tall driftwood or something.

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com