Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #161
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the setup. The black sand will make the decor and fishes colors pop out. Loving the LED lights. You mentioned that you'll try a couple real plants. Are you still going to do that? Can't wait to see the complete setup. Keep us updated Michael

Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about your decor, if I were you. You have a great eye and even outside the tank it looks beautiful.
As far as real or fake plants go, I tried a couple real in the beginning and my Cichlids dug em up and thrashed them. Mine are all fake now and the fish leave them alone.
You have to be picky about the fake ones though. Some look great and some look like ....But as with everything else you've done I think you'll make great choices.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really like the LEDs. it's a good look.

If you're going with SA cichlids, I'm with mfd concerning the plastic plants. I got tired of cleaning mine and eventually they just start falling apart. Live plants are a good challenge.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #164
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the comments. I'm putting in AFRICAN CICHLID's. My 55 gallon has 19 of them. It's time to move some of them out because they have outgrown the tank. I think I will put some fake plants here and there just to give it dimension.
Later I will try some Java Ferns just to see what happens. The LED's are going to be hidden so that when you look at the tank you will not be able to see the bulbs.

Thanks for the comments Rookie, Roy, Big Jim, Mandy and Wendi.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #165
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought one of these reef keepers to control everything in the tank.
It will switch on and off lights. Control times for the FX5's.
Also will control the heater I bought.

The RKE system includes two PC4s; that's 8 outlets to control! You also get an SL1 that will allow you to monitor pH, ORP, temperature and two switches; not to mention a free temperature probe and pH probe.

I'm a electronic freek, I love gadgets.

Rookie I already know, It's a waste of money..... LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ReefKeeper.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	29661  
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict

MFD is 1000% correct, at the end of the day its YOUR tank and YOU gotta look at it.

I see the layout pic above and to me it look awesome, I dig the backlit cavern ALOT. I think you just gave me some ideas for my turtle tank and the rockwork I need to always re-do in there.

I got a few ideas for egg crate comparibles, how opposed to having powerheads in the tank are you? I used to run a RUGF system using marineland 660R powerheads and to be honest a year later when I cleaned the tank out there was NO dirties under the plate at all, this will protect as well as give you more filtration and flow, heck you can even cut a spot out for your LED lights too.

I just know that tons of crap get stuck in the egg crate and it got real frustrating at times to clean up.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdultra
I bought one of these reef keepers to control everything in the tank.
It will switch on and off lights. Control times for the FX5's.
Also will control the heater I bought.

The RKE system includes two PC4s; that's 8 outlets to control! You also get an SL1 that will allow you to monitor pH, ORP, temperature and two switches; not to mention a free temperature probe and pH probe.

I'm a electronic freek, I love gadgets.

Rookie I already know, It's a waste of money..... LOL
Nice! I want one. LOL. Aren't you going to run both fx5s at the same time? You going to let one rest then turn on the other one?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
MFD is 1000% correct, at the end of the day its YOUR tank and YOU gotta look at it.

I see the layout pic above and to me it look awesome, I dig the backlit cavern ALOT. I think you just gave me some ideas for my turtle tank and the rockwork I need to always re-do in there.

I got a few ideas for egg crate comparibles, how opposed to having powerheads in the tank are you? I used to run a RUGF system using marineland 660R powerheads and to be honest a year later when I cleaned the tank out there was NO dirties under the plate at all, this will protect as well as give you more filtration and flow, heck you can even cut a spot out for your LED lights too.

I just know that tons of crap get stuck in the egg crate and it got real frustrating at times to clean up.
I don't think that RUGF will work with Cichlid sand. I'm not against power heads. Years ago I had a RUGF system. I think with the sand allot of the waste will be trapped by the FX5's and also with Vacuuming. On this tank the sand will not be as deep. I'm thinking about a inch.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
Nice! I want one. LOL. Aren't you going to run both fx5s at the same time? You going to let one rest then turn on the other one?
I'm thinking of staggering the run time. During the day I think I will run both.
And at night have one shut down while there is sleep time. It's just a thought in my mind right now. I'm sure I will get some advise on that.

It make sense to me thou.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

OH, see I didnt read all 14 prior pages(had to speed read havnt had my comp since mid december).

Can you take a few different pics of that cavern for me? Id really like to build something that same scale in my turtles tank. I am working with shale from lowryder and a few chunks of large rocks and a 6" terra cotta pot to keep the basking surface above the water line.

Its not a good idea but I did put 120 pounds of play sand on top of my ugf plate before I put the powerheads on. I tried it hooked to twin AC70 hob's but the second I plugged those 660R's in, it was like a nuke went off in the tank, pretty cool to watch but yeah it was not an option anymore after that.

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com