220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry about the pH until after the cycle is complete. Ammonia is basic and throws off the water chemistry.

Crank up the heater to speed the cycle.

This is as bad as waiting for a baby to be born.
You've had all the labor pains, but the rest of us are pacing in the waiting room.
Sorry to hear your computer crashed. The hard drive on my laptop crashed after only ten months. Fortunately it was still under warranty, so HP sent me a new one and told me how to install it.
I still lost everything I had stored on it though. Which was a big pain in the ... So I invested in an external HD. Every couple of weeks I down load my lap top onto the external HD. If it ever crashes again I just have to attach the external HD to the new lap and all my files will be restored.
I wish I'd known about it sooner. I had a lot of pictures of my grandson from when he was a baby stored on the computer. I won't make that mistake again.

mfdrookie516 said:
If you weren't so far away, I'd offer to sell you mine. I'd check craigslist. I got my 150g for $225 with stand, glass tops, heater, and a bunch of other stuff. Got both my Fluvals (305 and 405) for $25 each as well.

Do u live in pa?? I think I saw your post

from, Adam

I tested the water again today. This is day 2 of adding water to the tank.
Keep in mind that I have filter media from the pet store. And I used two filters from my 55 Gallon. I'm really surprised to see nitrates in that range. I took Jims advise and raised the temp to 85. 85 is the prime temp for all kinds of bacteria to grow.

Temp 85f
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
PH 8.2
Po4 0
GH 143
KH 161

Also here are some shots of the tank and electronics.

Attachments

• DSC00593.jpg
    DSC00593.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00591.jpg
    DSC00591.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 111
Here are the electronics.
Don't gig me on the wiring I'll be cleaning that up here shortly. lol
I will be making sure that I have drip loops, and just organizing the wire.

Attachments

• DSC00594.jpg
    DSC00594.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00595.jpg
    DSC00595.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 119
The tank looks really great! :D

Nitrites are 0ppm. Is it because you just started your cycling or because of the media from your 55g?

This is coming along nicely. Can't wait until my 75g cycles, it's almost finished. I was lucky enough to find someone to give me a good amount of substrate a week ago. The ammonia I dosed at 4ppm is now 2pm, converting straight to nitrates. I'm sure I'll be finished in a couple days. This is exciting, keep us all updated!

Well folks I think these readings for the new tank is blowing me away.
I guess from putting in the filter material from the LFS and the filter from my 55. I have come up with these readings after only a week. I'm thinking to myself is this possible.

I think I better leave the marineland in place for awile. Just to be sure that both of the FX5's are fully cycled. I also moved over some of the decor from my 55.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
PH 7.8
Temp 77f

Attachments

• DSC00619.jpg
    DSC00619.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 134
It is possible to cycle a tank in a week. I was able to do so with my 40B by taking a bag of biomedia from the filter on my 29g.

Yes I agree it's certainly possible. I have seeded all my tanks from my other tanks at one point or another and really never saw uncycled readings. But I did seed with water, substrate AND filters.

I did take about 15 pounds of substrate and added it when I put in the eco complete cichlid sand. I'm going to the LFS today to see about some fish.
And also I'm going to transfer the bigger fish from the 55.

Nice test results! Looking forward to seeing this, good to know you got all the starting stuff knocked out for the most part.

Nice test results! Looking forward to seeing this, good to know you got all the starting stuff knocked out for the most part.

It's all going good so far. The fish choices, is going to be a struggle.
I know there are three types of Cichlids. Haps. Mbuma and Peacocks.
I was talking to rookie and he informed me that i may need to stay with Mbuma. I have a mixed crowd already. But I think for the most part they are Mbuma. I want allot of color. And also want 1 male to 3 to 4 females.

I think I need to add more rock and caves thou. I'll post the tank as it is now.

Attachments

• DSC00635.JPG
    DSC00635.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00636.JPG
    DSC00636.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC00637.JPG
    DSC00637.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00638.JPG
    DSC00638.JPG