Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Scoop531
Sorry if this sounds stupid I figure more filtration is a good thing but why 2 FX5's isnt each one rated for up to a 400 gallon tank? Wouldnt just one be more then enough? Im setting up a 150 Gallon and need a filter system.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop531 View Post
Sorry if this sounds stupid I figure more filtration is a good thing but why 2 FX5's isnt each one rated for up to a 400 gallon tank? Wouldnt just one be more then enough? Im setting up a 150 Gallon and need a filter system.
Yes 1 would be sufficient for the tank. I'm a filtration freak when it comes to cichlid tanks. Because the tank is 72"L 24"W 30"H I want good waste pick up on both sides of the tank. And clean water flow on both sides. Yes it is overkill.
I know there other things to move water. I though why not get filtration at the same time.

For a 150 you need 1 rated for 300 gallons. Tim turned me onto eBay, wow what a price difference. I saved about 150 Bucks on 1 filter. One of these would work fine for your system. or 2 fluval 405's etc. There are lots of good other models and brands. I'm sure a few people here will give you more suggestions. I'm a Hagen Fan...... and Marineland.....

My 55 has a Fluval 405 and 2 Marineland 280's. Overkill again lol

Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #53
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop531 View Post
What the manufacturer claims vs reality if often different. I wouldn't use just one filter on any tank bigger than 75g. While one FX5 is certainly sufficient for a 150g tank, I would definitely use 2 for anything bigger than 180, especially because of the length of the tank. Also, what if one fails? You've got a backup already running. Good rule of thumb is to take the manufacturers claim and half it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Though I'm no expert on giant tanks, I totally agree with using double the fitration manufacturers suggest.

Double filtration also gives you an edge should one of the filters fail.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just to agree. Filter is rated for 400gal, but that is without any media. With the media it flows at a much slower rate and after it's been running for a little while I'm sure that flow decreases even further.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heaters:

I picked up two of these 300 watt Hagen Fluvals on eBay.
There rated for 100 gallon tanks I hope that they will be effective and not under powered. I like the digital display.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #57
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

two 300w heaters should be fine in your tank... I would position them close to the intake of the two FX5's though to help distribute the heat evenly throughout the tank.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
two 300w heaters should be fine in your tank... I would position them close to the intake of the two FX5's though to help distribute the heat evenly throughout the tank.
I like that.

The intakes for the fluvals I think should be about 3" above the substrate correct.
Or should I stagger the intakes one high and one low?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #59
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You're using sand, right? I'd keep them higher than 3"... I have one about 5" from the substrate on one end of the tank, and one about 10" up on the other side... I'd put them about 12-16" from the end of the tank, and at least 6" from the substrate. It's up to you whether you want to stagger them, but I think it makes sense to.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

As you know I like the Carib Sea only because of the benefits. With the PH, GH, and KH properties is a plus to me. As we have discussed before in other post, I know what your preference's are. We are still thinking of a few live plants here.
As you said earlier buy few and see what happens with the fish. Weather they are going to eat them or dig them out. There are several choices with this substrate from Carib Sea
The cost for the substrate is going to be around $220.00.

I would like a substrate that will show off the fish. And also support plant life.
I'm concerned if I go with one that is eco complete for plants and the fish tear up or eat the plant's. And then I can't keep plants. I will have the wrong substrate then. Will plants grow in sand ?

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com