Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #61
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Plants will grow in sand... If you remember, I use pool filter sand. I have two tanks that are planted with pfs as the substrate.

I will say this.. I spoke with a local breeder a while back on substrates. He was telling me that he had a dark almost black substrate in a tank one time and the fish stayed stressed. Most likely because it brought out their colors more, which made them nervous as they like to stay hidden. He switched to a light tan color and they colored right back up and started breeding again.

Here's a pic of one of my planted tanks with PFS... granted its not pretty, but the plants grow fine

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would put one intakes as far apart as possible, but the outputs can share location.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just something for you to think about... I used childrens play sand in my tanks for years. $3 for 50lbs. The only issue with it was how light it was. When a fish stirred it up it used to go up into my HOB filters and grind away at it, eventually making them too noisy to use anymore. But I just wanted to give you an idea... You don't HAVE to purchase the expensive aquarium sands...

Right now I use garden pond stones and garden pea gravel, bought from Home Depot, in all mine.

I never had problems with plants growing in the play sand, you shouldn't either in whatever you use. Infact the roots would grip better in sand than they do in gravel. I use Flora Pride liquid ferts also though, so that's maybe something else to add to the shopping list...
Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
I would put one intakes as far apart as possible, but the outputs can share location.
I was going to put the intakes about 6" to 10" on each side of the tank. And the outputs at 2' from each side.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

LIGHTING

I'm looking at this light system. Is it ok for the 220 Build.
72 Metal Halide Power Compact Aquarium Light 1134 watt

72 Metal Halide Power Compact Aquarium Light 1134 watt - eBay (item 250772338282 end time Feb-14-11 20:22:23 PST)

I really like the built in lunar lights...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!CCpfo)gBmk~$(KGrHqF,!iUE0HBJ3dk0BNL0oVrM(!~~_12.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	28549  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you think ?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pick up some other heater
True Temp 800W Heater W/ Controller by JBJ
True Temp 800W Heater W/ Controller by JBJ - eBay (item 290454181880 end time Mar-11-11 00:10:43 PST)

I also found this on ebay. I hope it will heat the tank. I'm thinking it will @ 800 watt.

What do you all think of the lights also.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Guy's

I'm going to start setting the tank up on Thursday.
The Fluval FX5's will be here tomorrow. I ordered the sand today, it's going to be black with a little white.

I ordered this power switch to control the lighting and other devices from the outside of the aquarium.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdultra View Post
Hey Guy's

I'm going to start setting the tank up on Thursday.
The Fluval FX5's will be here tomorrow. I ordered the sand today, it's going to be black with a little white.

I ordered this power switch to control the lighting and other devices from the outside of the aquarium.

I got the FX5's Yesterday, One of them came with media and the other one did not come with any.

So I had to order more media. I ordered Pre filter ceramic, Blue Pre filter pads,
Bio Max, Carbon for when I need it. Filter media Bags, and Phosphate Remover.

I may need others, but at least this will get me going.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a ton of light, even for a planted tank. Are you planning to run CO2?

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com