Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrox View Post
I have a 10 x220 litre tanks and 2x 375 litre tanks, and a few more small ones on 100 year old wooden floor boards that are mounted on stump posts. The water alone weighs nealy 3000kg (6,600lbs) floor is sound and have had no problems. The weight is spread over the whole 11ft x 8ft (approx) room.

I think in most situations the weight issue is over thought to be honest, especially if the tank is near the wall which is the strongest part of the floor.

However you need to see how many joists are taking the weight and if the joists have enough support to transfer the weight down to the ground. If the weight is spead across a number of joists and the weight is distributed over a greater area you should be fine. If the floor flexes when filling the tank, that would signal that there isn't enough support. Tank placement in the strongest position is key.

We have one joist under the wall and 2 under the tank. The tank runs along with them. The are 2x8's 7"1/2. and there pine. I think the decking is 3/4.
Thanks for the reply's.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #82
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

The optimal location is running perpendicular to the joists, rather than parallel... well, actually a slab is optimal. I do agree with mattrox though, it does become a little over thought...

Unless you're putting the tank upstairs, you most likely won't have any issues...

EDIT: just an after thought.. is your basement finished? You could always add a vertical beam, or a jack under the joists if you have the ability to... if it really concerns you

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
The optimal location is running perpendicular to the joists, rather than parallel... well, actually a slab is optimal. I do agree with mattrox though, it does become a little over thought...

Unless you're putting the tank upstairs, you most likely won't have any issues...

EDIT: just an after thought.. is your basement finished? You could always add a vertical beam, or a jack under the joists if you have the ability to... if it really concerns you
Yes rookie my beams are exposed. Just for safe measures I'm going to throw in a couple of joist to make sure. I think it may be good insurance.
2x8 don't hold to much of a load. If I would of had 2x12 I wouldn't worry about it. I wish there were running perpendicular then I'd be ok, but there not.

Really do appreciate your reply's.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats up guy's.

I got the 2x8's installed under my sub-floor today. There is a total of 5 of them under the floor. I'm pretty sure it will hold the tank now.

As you all know I wanted blue moon lights. I bought these led mini egg lights and recessed them into my hood light. The only thing I had to relocate was the power switch. I drilled hole in the white part of the fixture so that the lights would just stick through. I took some 3m marine caulking that I had in the garage to secure them. It's going to look awesome.
See Picture.

Filtration:
I setup the Fluval FX5's (X2) I put the intakes about a foot from each end. Then I put the outflow about 2' on both sides. I'm running these media choices :

Basket 1. Pre-filter ceramic rings and blue Pre-filter material.
Basket 2. I'm running carbon.
Basket 3. Biomax with a polishing pad.

I filled the cannisters with dechlorinated water and put Beneficial Bacteria in them etc.

That's about the whole day. It's slowly coming around.

I bought some Eco Complete cichlid sand, It won't be here until Tuesday.

I'm still looking for a good background. I'm waiting for this guy in Oregon to get back with me.

Also looking for the right decor. I'm going to try some nursery's in the area for stone etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00516.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	28959   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00517.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	28960  

Name:	DSC00522.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	28961   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00523.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	28962  

Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #85
AA Team Emeritus

Might want to think about adding a background to hide your wires and piping while the tank is still empty and you can get behind the tank. Just a thought. I regretted not putting one on my 30g before I filled it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to adding a background before you fill the tank. Much easier, IME.

~20 Gallon Community, ~5 Gallon Betta
mandy2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
Might want to think about adding a background to hide your wires and piping while the tank is still empty and you can get behind the tank. Just a thought. I regretted not putting one on my 30g before I filled it.
My first 55g came with a background when I bought it used. After a while I decided I really hated it, it was drab and boring. So I got a new one, but by then I had a fully stocked tank.
I then proceeded to put the new 48"L x 20"H background while the tank was 7" from the wall. I wouldn't recommend it, I not sure you could even do it on a tank as large as yours.
I'd listen to meegosh. When I bought my second 55g tank I put the background on before I put the tank on the stand, what a difference.
I had to replace the first one a couple times because it would keep falling off because of bubbles. No problems with the one done the right way.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #88
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Paint it black!

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

BACK GROUND

I have been waiting for this company in Oregon to call me back.
I am really stuck on these back grounds. I know rookie don't spend that kind of money on a background. lol

I really think that it will give the tank dimension. Check the links below.
It also comes in a gray.

I'm not going to fill the tank until the sand comes in and all the plumbing is installed.

I need to run in some aeration. I'm still thinking about what to run. I could use help on this too. I would like to attach the air lines to the floor under the substrate.. Maybe using silicone to secure them. It's a really long reach to the bottom of the tank, it's 30". Messing with plumbing while filled also would be killer on my old body. LOL

How many stones etc ?

What size pump etc ?

Designs By Nature – Aquarium

BJ881 Ledge
Available in these sizes : (L) 48″,63″,79″ X (H) 24″ , thickest part is about 6″. Total piece averages around 3-4″ thick.
This background would make the ultimate show tank and is perfect for larger tanks.
A great rock wall with an awesome ledge, a very cool piece used right side up or up side down. It just depends on if you want to use a ledge or an overhang.

THANK YOU: Meegosh, Mandy, Rookie for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ledge.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	29112  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #90
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Dude, I wouldn't waste money on air pumps, stones, tubing, etc either. Those filter you have will provide PLENTY of surface agitation. Bubbles just make a tank look fake IMHO.

Tags
20 gallon, 220, 220 gallon, build, cichlid, filtration, gallon, ich, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com