220 Gallon Cichlid Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't think you were yelling. There are only four major cities in the entire state. Medford, Eugene, Salem and Portland. Medford and Eugene are in the south. Salem and Portland are north and I'm half way between Salem and Portland, Eugene is about 6 hours away. I was hoping it would be Salem or Portland that's an hour and a half to two hours away. Those are do able but 6 hours is a little far for me to go, sorry.
I hope it's not a problem. Now I feel bad for offering and can't really do anything. I could call but that's no different than what your already doing.

I didn't think you were yelling. There are only four major cities in the entire state. Medford, Eugene, Salem and Portland. Medford and Eugene are in the south. Salem and Portland are north and I'm half way between Salem and Portland, Eugene is about 6 hours away. I was hoping it would be Salem or Portland that's an hour and a half to two hours away. Those are do able but 6 hours is a little far for me to go, sorry.
I hope it's not a problem. Now I feel bad for offering and can't really do anything. I could call but that's no different than what your already doing.

No Wendi it's no problem at all. I would do the same if I were close.
Thanks for offering thou.

Hi Hdultra,
I usually always go with black backgrounds for my tank. It looks nice and lets the fish and plants stand out. However, if you want to go with a really awesome showy tank I would so go with the 3D background!! I think it will look amazing... really gives that extra wow factor. Quite the natural affect, too. Hopefully you can get it so that your plans don't have to be delayed further. Just wanted to add my opnion and say go for it with the background! Totally support it.

As for the bubbles, I personally think they are a major hassle with all the tubing, but look really nice. However, it wouldn't be a huge deal if you decided not to get them. There are lots of other elements to this tank that can continue to bring the wow factor.

Good luck! Hope things continue to go well :)
Anxious to see this develop!!!

Mandy,
I knew there was someone with taste on here. LoL
Just kidding Jim and Rookie. Yes the black backgrounds are really cool and do bring out everything in the tank.
I am looking to bring in the wow factor. I have so much invested already, that I'm just going to go all the way. I just found out yesterday that I need to get some egg crate for the bottom of the tank. Cichlid-Forum.com I was going to put in the air but was talked out of that. If I were to put it in, I would secure to the bottom of the tank and make it permanent with like silicone. Hiding tubing under sand is a pain when water is in the tank.

I'm afraid that I'm not going to find the right rocks. Here in Missouri we have allot of slate rocks, which are white. I guess I will have to find some landscape nursery's to find something with color.

Thanks Mandy for the input. Really means allot.

As cool as that 3d background may look i think it will turn out to be more of a hassle than it worth IMO. I agree painting the back to the tank Black is the best thing you can do to a tank :) Jim and Rookie have great knowledge. I wouldnt waste my time or money on that 3d background.

So, background aside...

Rocks. Got any creeks nearby? I got mine from a creek. If you can find a place in a creek where you don't have to worry about pollution upstream (ie in the woods would probably be the best place), you can get tons of free rock :)

So, background aside...

Rocks. Got any creeks nearby? I got mine from a creek. If you can find a place in a creek where you don't have to worry about pollution upstream (ie in the woods would probably be the best place), you can get tons of free rock :)

Wait N SEE WHAT I DID TODAY. ILL POST IT SHORTLY.

Ok, I took advise from all my advisors. Look at the pictures and tell me what I did.

Attachments

• DSC00539.jpg
    DSC00539.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00540.jpg
    DSC00540.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 104
That looks great! Did you end up painting it? Pics are kind of far away to tell, but I'm guessing you did with that awesome matte finish it appears to have. :)

That looks great! Did you end up painting it? Pics are kind of far away to tell, but I'm guessing you did with that awesome matte finish it appears to have. :)

Yes Sir, I took your advise and took the black paint to it. I masked it off, and had to cover everything in the house. It looks like it came from the factory that way. Looks good, thanks Rookie and Jim for the advise. I'm picking up the sand tomorrow. And the LFS is going to give me a couple of gallons of bacteria from there tanks to get the cycle started.

As far as rock's go I cant get around yet as my ankle is still broken.
I'm going to have to rely on a store for my rock's. BUMMER
I would rather go out into nature and get them.

You'll just be putting dirty water in your nice new tank. If you can get some filter media, that's different. There are minimal amounts of nitrifying bacteria in the water column, its only on the surfaces inside the tank and filter media.

I'm getting there filter water from there tanks. To seed mine.

Don't put that dirty water in your tank, fresh and clean water is much better.
There isn't much bacteria in the water column, anyway. The majority of it lies in used filter media, so try and see if you can get that instead. Just explain this reasoning to your LFS and hopefully they'll have something that they can give you.

Background is looking nice... Excited to see this come together! Keep us updated :)

Don't put that dirty water in your tank, fresh and clean water is much better.
There isn't much bacteria in the water column, anyway. The majority of it lies in used filter media, so try and see if you can get that instead. Just explain this reasoning to your LFS and hopefully they'll have something that they can give you.

Background is looking nice... Excited to see this come together! Keep us updated :)

I should have said also the filter media as well. Sorry.
If not my 55 Gallon is available with plenty of media.

I should have said also the filter media as well. Sorry.
If not my 55 Gallon is available with plenty of media.

Oh, well that's good. And yeah I don't recommend actually putting
in the water, it won't help much. I'm guessing you have the water to keep the media wet?

Oh, well that's good. And yeah I don't recommend actually putting
in the water, it won't help much. I'm guessing you have the water to keep the media wet?

So you guys don't think some dirty water will not help with ammonia. To get the cycle a head start.

hdultra said:
So you guys don't think some dirty water will not help with ammonia. To get the cycle a head start.

I'll just buy some ammonia from ace hardware or wherever you can find one. Just make sure that if you shake it, that no bubbles will form. You don't want to risk getting diseases and parasites from the dirty LFS water. Good luck Michael! :)

I'll just buy some ammonia from ace hardware or wherever you can find one. Just make sure that if you shake it, that no bubbles will form. You don't want to risk getting diseases and parasites from the dirty LFS water. Good luck Michael! :)

Well if that is the case I will use the filter media from my 55 gallon tank.
I have the 2 Marineland 280 in there with 2 filters in each. And also I have my Fuval 405 also. I'm hoping to cycle the tank in a short period of time.

Back
Top Bottom